89 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Unhappy 89 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tranny problem

I just purchased a 89 DeVille with 79k miles but the transmission does not engage any gears. It has a 4.8 litre if that helps any. The tranny will shift but no movement at all. I can rev up to redline and it will not budge. Is there a computer for this tranny, or is there a fused relay or something simple to start troubleshooting. I know nothing about these cars, and I havent got a Haynes manual yet. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Tech Certified Members

ok...... so if you keep reving "it" up to red line the engine will stop "engaging" also. that certainly wont get your transmission to all the sudden start working, dude.
......enough said! ........ little more info, please. did the trans work when you bought the car? none of my business, but how much did you pay for the car with the bad tranny or not? is it 179K, or 79K? for sure? and if the trans worked when you bought the car, tell the forum under what conditions did the tranny go? were you burning rubber, or trying to pop wheelys?....neither will work........ get back to us with more info, please
rickyd

Last edited by rickyd; 05-03-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Rickyd,
Thanks for the reply, First of all it is none of your business how much I paid for the car, so I will not answer that part The tranny didnt work and I knowingly purchased the car, so I guess that answers the wheely popping or burning rubber part I know redlining the engine will not make a tranny work, dude but I did it just for kicks. As for the mileage, the digital odometer displays 79k so I believe it to be correct What other information is needed ? I simply need to know if there is a common problem with this certain tranny giving up at a low mileage ? I would rather replace it and try a wheelie although I doubt that with a FWD I could acheive one, maybe a little wheel hop Thanks again Rickyd

Old 05-04-2009, 04:02 PM

Anybody else have any ideas ? If anyone knows of common problems with these trannys ? (TH440 from what I know) Is there a vacuum line that would not let it work if disengaged ? anything ? Thanks

Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by 89caddy
Rickyd,
Thanks for the reply, First of all it is none of your business how much I paid for the car, so I will not answer that part The tranny didnt work and I knowingly purchased the car, so I guess that answers the wheely popping or burning rubber part I know redlining the engine will not make a tranny work, dude but I did it just for kicks. As for the mileage, the digital odometer displays 79k so I believe it to be correct What other information is needed ? I simply need to know if there is a common problem with this certain tranny giving up at a low mileage ? I would rather replace it and try a wheelie although I doubt that with a FWD I could acheive one, maybe a little wheel hop Thanks again Rickyd
sorry to have been such a smart a_ _ , i just had one of those moments.
your trans really is a good one. only think of trouble on them is the TCC silenoid. if that goes the car locks up in forth/od gear, and will stall as soon as you put it into gear. hope it helps
rickyd

Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Dont worry Rickyd, we all have those moments. I do also But Ive been told its better to be a smart *** than be a dumb *** Well the TCC solenoid is only a possibility if the tranny actually works ? I doubt thats the case with this one ? I am still hunting for a Haynes manual just to reference for future use. I will try to make time to work on this thing by next week. For now I guess I will keep searching for possible known problems before I remove the tranny. Thanks again Rickyd

Old 05-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Certified Members

If a drive axle or CV joint is broken or not secure in the trans, car wont move but it will shift!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:31 AM

Carnut,
Thanks for the reply. I will check that out. To your knowledge is there any computerized portion of this tranny that will not allow it to function as described ? I had a car (Fo*d) that had tranny problems, and after replacing the tranny it blew it again. It turned out being the computer that was tweeking and the tranny was fine after replacing the computer I think I may have the computer checked out as well. Thanks again Carnut.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Is there fluid in the trans ?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Katzmans caddy,
Yes there is fluid. Thats the first thing I checked. I think I may just pull it. I found a used TH440 tranny off a Pontiac. Would that have the same bellhousing or pattern to mount on the Caddy engine ?
Thanks

Quick Reply: 89 Cadillac Coupe De Ville tranny problem