Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Stop Lights OUT, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Default Stop Lights OUT, Please Help!

Seville 1995, so far very happy, however recently I lost the stop lights and I'm worry I will get rear ended.
Pedal Switch are working, the emergency light working, turning light working, center top stop light working, and the funniest thing, if I activate the right turn signal the left stop lights will come on, nor is the case with other side turning left. I reach the conclusion that it could be a relay, the question after uncovering all the secret areas will be which one. There is a clusster of relays in the front by the fuse panel and another clusster in the back inside the trunk behind the rear seat.
Could any one be so kind to guide me in the right direction?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 PM
Default RE: Stop Lights OUT, Please Help!

well if you dont have a wire polarity tester to see if that bulb is getting power or not with switch on or off than you can buy one relay and check with the left side than the right.. It might be that one or more of the wires are exposed and is grounding out or mixing with the other set check all connection and wires and start your trial and error. usually it is the simplest thing and the 23rd try. I will look in my book and get back to you.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Stop Lights OUT, Please Help!

I tested all the pedal switches, since there are two (I imagine one is for the cruise control), and they are working ok, also if the turning and emergency lights work so does the light bulb which is the same filament for the stop light, This is were it gets confusing, the same wire that feeds other circuits (turning and emergency) feeds the stop light just following another route (relay) some were among the 14 look alike I counted.
I guess I will have to buy one relay and start replacing it one socket at a time and lets hope for the best.