Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Speed Limited to 90

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Default Speed Limited to 90

Just got my car back from the garage yesterday after a steering rack replacement and car has the 'speed limited to 90' message on driver info centre. This message appears once ignition is turned on with car in park (you can remove it by pressing the 'info' button on dash).

I tested the car out today by taking it over 90 and it becomes very dangerous as the car can only be described as going into a 'thumping cycle'. It's almost like car is being slammed into gear giving you a big jolt but only it's trying to stop you going any further.

Will be taking the car back to the garage tomorrow/ASAP as I'm not happy the work has been finished correctly.

Anyone else had this?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Certified Members

have you cleared the code and run the car to over 90......carefully? however if the speed limit to 90 is on the car will cut out at 90mph/or what ever the conversion is in Ks....
and yes i would take the car back to the shop!!!
rickyd

Old 11-23-2009, 06:57 PM

I put a steering rack in my car a few weeks ago myself. It was a big job, had to drop the engine cradle at the rear, and some lines were hard to crack open. I also had to disconnect some of the stabiltrak links at the front struts. Not sure how or why you would get such a message, take it back to the shop asap!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Yes, changing steering rack is a massive job as you do have to drop the engine cradle. Took car back to the shop today and we connected it upto the diagnostic computer and we got the following DTC's:

C1252 ICCS2 Data Link Left Malfunction
C1253 ICCS2 Data Link Right Malfunction
P1611 Loss of CVRTD Serial Data
P1652 Powertrain Induced Chassis Pitch Output Circuit

We tried to clear the codes but car was having none of it. But here is the very interesting thing; when doing the job the garage found two wires had been deliberately cut at some point in the past, these were white and dark grey in colour which just happen to be the colour of the wires that run between two modules that detect these error codes.

So it appears that a previous owner had this problem in the past and cut the wires to fool the system into not displaying the speed restriction message and allowing the car to go over 90 (I have had it well over 90 before ).

Going to get the auto electrician to do his magic on the car tomorrow so we ensure it's in the hands of an expert but it does seem that it was the mechanics good dilligence in repairing these wires that has caused us to find these DTC's (and I do trust them).

Will keep you posted on what develops.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM

All sorted, electrician found another broken wire in part of the circuit. Now everything is good

Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM

I had a scanner to try to find out what DTC's my car has but I don't get anything, I do get the speed limited to 90, but no DTCs where were those cables that you mentioned? thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 PM

I have question, is there a different location to connect the dtc scanner or is it on the plug underneath the dashboard by the steering wheel to read this DTC for the speed limit to 90?

Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 PM

The cables that were broken I believe were those that connect the air ride suspension sensors. Also the DTC scanner does indeed connect below the dash.

If you need more info on the broken wires I could get it for you from the repair shop but I had the DTC's listed in my earlier post present when the speed restriction message appeared so it is puzzling you have no DTC's?!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DJWerkz
The cables that were broken I believe were those that connect the air ride suspension sensors. Also the DTC scanner does indeed connect below the dash.

If you need more info on the broken wires I could get it for you from the repair shop but I had the DTC's listed in my earlier post present when the speed restriction message appeared so it is puzzling you have no DTC's?!
I had the same issue. But it was the cause I changed from the air ride shocks to regular shocks. I'm looking for a way to fool the computer into thinking I have the magnetic system in place. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this?

Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM

Bought my 98 seville used, with the limit 90across the dash. I need to go 95 just to stay up with traffic in the city. Any help here?