Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Magnetic Shock Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:02 PM
Lightbulb Magnetic Shock Question

I have an 03 STS with 62,000 miles. I replaced the tires and noticed if I hit and uneven bump or pothole the rear end will jerk. Took it back to the tire/ repair store and they said that one of the rear magnetic shocks is "weak" and needs to be replaced. They also said that the rear shocks need to be replaced in pairs. They want $800 per shock and $2,000 total.

Can a magnetic shock be "weak"?
Do they need to be replaced in pairs?
$800 each seems expensive?
Any suggestions?

THANKS!- Sterling

Old 04-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

they are deffinently right about the price if you buy the at a STEALERSHIP.I was quoted 800 a pieceas well, but if you buy them at a parts store its about $800 for the pair. Yes at any time one shock goes bad the other will be right around the next corner and fail as well. so its always recomended to replace in pairs. just like brake pads you dont just change the ones that squeak. i bought my rear shocks at advanced auto parts and installed myself with no problems. My alignment was unchanged and airride quality will be restored too. so you can easily save money that route. Not only is the rear shocks magneride they also have air in them too airlines run from the compresor to the shocks. the airlines disconect easily from the shocks with no special tools. So if you decide to buy them get them from the local parts store they may have to order them if they dont have them on hand. also if you are mechanicaly incline you can do this job your self pretty easily. otherwise buy the sruts and take your car in to a shop and have them install them for you. They may say you need to have a 4 wheel alignment which cost as well but i know its not necessary unless your alignment was bad before you needed struts.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM

Thank you for your response.
Not sure what I am going to do.
I do not want to spend the money right now.
May just live with a 'weak' shock for now.