Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Left Turn Signal Don't Blink

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:46 AM
Default Left Turn Signal Don't Blink

My 96 Seville STS turn signal doesen't blink on the drivers side. This is a bit strange to me. They blink rapidly. However, while the car is in gear, and I select the left signal, it just lights up solid and will not blink. When it is in Park, it blinks, all be it rapidly though. What's going on here?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Tech Certified Members

gman... what happens when you put the 4-way flashers on??? it sounds as though you have a couple turn signal lights out, or possible the flasher unit is bad.... nothing big.... let us know
rickyd

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Rickyd, I replaced all the bulbs, check the fuse, and I peeked uneder the steering column. Is there something else I should be looking for?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Certified Members

did this just all the sudden start not working properly? now it sounds as though you got some wrong bulbs in the wrong sockets, or have you checked or replaced the flasher unit? what happens when you put on the four ways? has the car been wrecked?
rickyd

Old 03-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by rickyd
did this just all the sudden start not working properly? now it sounds as though you got some wrong bulbs in the wrong sockets, or have you checked or replaced the flasher unit? what happens when you put on the four ways? has the car been wrecked?
rickyd
I've only had the car for a couple of months. Only recently that I started to drive it. The car hasn't been wrecked, it is immaculate. The bulbs in the back are 2057 bulbs. When I have the hazards on, all of the lights flash. One thing I've noticed is the drivers side rear light is dimmer that of the passenger side rear. I replace the flasher unit that the Chilton book refers to. Is this what was supposed to be replaced?

Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Certified Members

With lights on and 4 ways on are both sides blinking the same? Flasher you changed paers to be hazard. car uses turn signal module - fancy flasher - 3 wires

Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
With lights on and 4 ways on are both sides blinking the same? Flasher you changed paers to be hazard. car uses turn signal module - fancy flasher - 3 wires
I'm not quite sure i understand your question. All sides blink. Drivers side just don't blink while the car is in Drive, and the driver's side rear is dimmer than normal. If the picture is not for the signal, what does it look like?

Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

Have you tried it with the lights on? When light are off sometimes bulbs with poor grounds will back feed on lighting circuits to ground. With lights on, lighting circuits are powered up, not allowing it, so a lamp with ground fault wont blink, not correctly - alternates - with adjacent lamp, or dimmer than the same lamp on opposite side of car.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM

Ok, here is what i found out. I had a burnt out fog lamp on the passenger light. I had previously noticed that the driver side blinker would not blink when the fog lights were on. They still blink fast though. I know I am getting closer to solving this problem. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

From earlier post, Check ground on left lamp that is dimmer than the others. It not unusual for the sockets to fail.

Quick Reply: Left Turn Signal Don't Blink