Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Cooling Fan Switch Location????

Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Default Cooling Fan Switch Location????

1994 Seville SLS overheating but no steam, no gunked up frothy oil and no water on dipstick. I have not done the headgasket test I read here advising putting compressed air to the spark plug holes to see if bubbles come out of the overflow bottle but might later. The person I bought it from ran a hot wire to the cooling fans so they ran all the time, yet the car still overheats. I just bought the cooling fan thermo switch that I think he was too cheap or too stupid to buy, but cannot find where it goes. It might not fix the overheating but having all the items working correctly is a good start I feel and the switch was only $15. The Haynes manual shows it on the thermostat housing but it is not there. Anyone know where I can plug this in? Also any hints on getting this car to run cool would be good. I will also check the bottom hose to see if it is collapsing. I did notice that the top hose just seems full of hot air, not water but I might be wrong as maybe just a small amount of water flows there. If it is easier to call me Doug 714-403-5808

Old 12-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Cooling Fan Switch Location????

If someone has already hot wired fans to come on all the time, and it still overheating, most likely you have blown head gaskets. Northstar does not have cooling fan switch. It uses coolant temp sensor signal to PCM - PCM/ECM/BRAIN BOX turns fans on. Sensor located driver's side rear head.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Default RE: Cooling Fan Switch Location????

Thanks for the reply. I will install it now and atleast see if I can get the fans to turn on. The old owner has also cut 3 of the 4 wires that point towards the front of the car coming out of a flat wire black plug coming from the front of the alternator. It sort of looks like the flat connector type plugs used in towing boats, jet skis etc for the lighting of the trailer. Only 1 little wire is hooked up and it disappears into that coil type plastic wrap and points down to the bottom of the engine. I will trim this back and see if there are 3 cut wires inside this sheath. What is this plug? Does it run the fans also and he cut them for some lame reason?