Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

Blinker Problems on 94 SLS

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 AM
Default Blinker Problems on 94 SLS

On my Lincolns when the blinker flashed fast a bulb was out. Well that is what is happening on the right side of my SLS. Even though the Owners Manual says that the lights will go on an stay on. The left side works as it should. But after a couple of minutes all the signals come on and stay on for both sides. The only way to reset them is to turn the car off. The Hazard Lights work fine. I looked around and found a bad bulb in the rear right fender assy and replaced it. But nothing has changed. In investigating I see that in the new bulb the wrong filament is illuminating and is dimmer than the rest. I swapped it with the bulb to the left that works properly in its original socket, but the same thing is happening the wrong filament also lights. And when running the hazards the new bulb which is stated to be an OEM replacement flashes dimmer than the rest and it's a new Sylvania Long Life Wonder bulb.

I pray that there is someone out there with wisdom on this and that it is very simple. I'm thinking a bad/crossed wire? Anyway . . . .

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

. . . fb

Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 AM
Default RE: Blinker Problems on 94 SLS

I suspect that a ground is missing...i.e, floating. IOW, your signal if finding its ground only by flowing "backward" through the secondary filament in your light bulb. I am not familiar with your car, and don't even know if you're talking about a Cadillac or Lincoln. Doesn't matter. Moreover, the ground for your lamp fixture is probably not observable by human eye at the site of the fixture. But a simple D.C. voltmeter, in the hands of an electrically-savvy person, should be able to reveal a great deal, indeed. Next, of course, the helper will need a wiring diagram of your car... and be able to locate pertinent points physically in the car itself.

You don't need a rocket scientist to help you with this, but you do need someone who knows how to t/s basic d.c. circuits.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: Blinker Problems on 94 SLS

John,
Thank you for your reply. But I am a Rocket Scientist. As in the title of the post it is a '94 SLS. I was referring to my Lincolns for the way that the blinkers acted with a dead bulb, which Cadillac says otherwise for theirs, but apparently in this case it's the same. The ground on the socket sounds like a good place to start. because it's just the one socket. I just happen to have a digital volt/continuity meter less than 18" from my right hand. I'll check it out as soon as the snow clears today. Since it is just the one socket, probing shouldn't have to go far and hopefully I can get this resovled.

Thanks for the push in that direction. Will post back with any results.

. . . fb

UPDATE:
I took apart the lens and wiring harness and found that by the ground ring in the socket in question, it's a bit brown on the connection side. All connections work from terminal to terminal except the ground of the one socket. The wire up to where it goes into the socket is fine and conducts. So now how to fix the socket?

So John . . . it was a ground. Or the lack there of now how to deal with it?

UPDATE (Part 2):
I took the blue retaining clip off and got a good hold of the ground wire and pulled out the assy. The metal connector was corroded a tad and the contact inside. So I cleaned them both with steel wool, bent the prong on the wire assy out to make more/new contact when reinserted and push the assy until the three rubber fins just fit. Then reinstalled the blue stress clip and all is great.