Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

ac turns off by itself...help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Default ac turns off by itself...help!

I have a 95 cadillac SLS, and the ac turns off and sometimes back on by itself. I had taken it in to get the serpintine belt replaced, and another belt (not sure of the name) replaced. The serp. had cracks in it, so hoping that replacing the serp. belt would fix the ac prob, but no such luck. The car has 1 lb. of freeon in it, and it was suggested to get the 1lb. sucked out, and refill with 2 lbs. of freeon...will this fix the prob? Ijust paid them $250 to replace the belts, andcannot afford a new(er) car at this time.Please help me with any info I need to know. I don't want to get suckered out of $$ that I can't afford to spend if it doesn't fix what needs to be fixed. Help!!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: ac turns off by itself...help!

You know your car best but it is not uncommon in a Cadillac with climate control for the system to turn off and on as temperature dictates. I am in Canada and I can tell you that at certain times of the year the sytem will cycle through both cooling and heating to adjust the temperature to what I have set.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 AM

In order for the A/C system to work properly it must, among other things have the proper amount of refridgerant in the system. There should be a sticker under the hood somewhere stating the proper amount. If the sticker says 2lbs. and the system has 1lb., as you say, than it will not work properly, if at all. Have the refridgerant recovered and the system leak tested. Then vacuumed and recharged with the proper amount of refridgerant.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Certified Members

did you pull codes? if the compressor / sensors are shutting down cuz of a problem, you WILL have codes.

as low as a 4 oz difference in Freon will activate the sensors and shut down the system.
now, if it does it as Katz says, do to demand for heat and cold, you will see no codes.

taking out Freon and putting back Freon makes me go ... huhhh ?

it has to be filled to work .. period.