Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

99 Seville SLS tyme certs vs engine block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Default 99 Seville SLS tyme certs vs engine block?

Good afternoon. I'm new to this. I have a beautiful 99 Seville SLS that just turned over 60,000 miles. I returned from a trip of 735 miles and got 27.6 mpg. I garaged the car until a trip was scheduled for three weeks later. I took the car to be serviced and noticed exhaust problem with strong odor. The car had a rough idle until warmed up. I let it warm before backing out of garage. The rough idle had been an off/on issue the past few months. The water pump was replaced last summer(07) as a result of my finding coolant on garage floor. This car has never registered hot. When I took car for servciing for next trip, I asked the mechanic to check the problem. I had leaking head gasket. The car is with a cadi mechanic now. He is now telling me there is oil weeping out in the bottom of the engine and indicates that I need an enigine block. He seems genuine and is trying to find the block from parts dealers. He mentioned tyme certs as a solution to the leaking oil, but since this weakens the wall of the aluminum engine more, he will not warranty his work because he feels this is not a good fix. May I have some other opinons please.Thanking you all in advance.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 99 Seville SLS tyme certs vs engine block?

Time Serts are generally a reliable repair. Does the mechanic suspect a cracked engine block? This may explain why he sees the need to get another block.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:10 AM

Thanks Katzman for early reply. Mechanic did not mention a cracked block. He referred to leak as "weeping" around the bolt holes, and said he is concerned about drilling holes larger to accommodate time serts as aluminum block is thin-walled. He is concerned that drilling holes larger would further weaken wall, and he said he will not give standard 1yr warranty on his work. This is what drove me to this forum.From what I have read on this site from past forums, this is why Cadillac made the time serts. My instincts are to have him just put the time serts in and be done with it. It's been 3 weeks and since we have not had any luck with obtaining another block for a reasonable price, and I do not want to invest in a new block for a 9yr old car. The car is in mint condition...always garaged and maintained. Thought it would last until I passed away. Guess I just got one of those weak engines that survived the warranty period. What ticks me is that there was never a register of over-heating! Thanks again and God Bless You and others who generously give your experience to share!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

For Northstars Time Serts come in two kits, First Repair and we hope not needed Second Repair. I think your instincts are right on this one. Maybe you should find a mechanic with experience in installing time serts.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Tech Certified Members

"TIME-SERT"s are mostly used with head gasket repairs, and they have successly repaired many blocks. There is a risk with "TIME-SERT"s they can pull out requiring new block or engine It mostly happens when threads come out with head bolts or blocks that have been serverely overheated. Seeping oil between case halves of cylinder block is not uncommon and very repairable. Cracked blocks is very uncommon. Your mechanic may not be comfortable with repairing engine, and new / reman. engines have more warranty than a repair.