Member Introduction New to the forum? Stop in and introduce yourself! If you have a tech question, check out the General Technical Section

2004 Cadillac SRX engine block is cracked 2-3" only way can tell is by pressure test

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Default 2004 Cadillac SRX engine block is cracked 2-3" only way can tell is by pressure test

For the past 30+ years, my family have been proud owners of 6 Cadillacs. All have been put thru the toughest elements - Montana - that is, eastern Montana. Mud (gumbo), snow, -40F, hot summers (100+F) and all ran like a gem. Every Caddy our family owned, we didn't trade or sell them until they reached 250-450k miles. I became the proud owner of a 2004 Cadillac SRX, making a new addition to the Whitmer Caddy Family. Other than a few hiccups here and there (roof - towards the rear hatch kept denting as soon as the hatch would open), I couldn't be more happier. But as I was driving to the dealership for its 100k mile maintenance checkup. About 10 miles before arriving at the dealership, my check engine coolant light comes on (coolant was full 2 days prior), then the light goes off. I pull over...coolant ok. As the miles add on - mileage clicks exactly 98,000 miles and every alarm you can imagine goes off and lights come on....check engine, hot engine, idle engine, turn A/C off (it never was on), thermostat goes crazy, engine overheat. Thank god Jiffy Lube was 1000ft away....they pop the hood - coolant everywhere (coolant is clearly empty), radiator fluid all over the undercarriage. Jiffy Lube changes the oil, and adds new coolant. They are confused as well...they could totally see that there was plenty of coolant (still wet inside). I call the dealership - they say 'we'll wait for you'...good deal. Limp my baby the 10miles to the dealership.

I make the nerve wracking phone call to my service advisor (who is awesome)....bad news, no good news. Your engine block is cracked....what???!?!!!?!!! The only way we could tell is by pressurizing the system, which led to fluid running out. How bad is the crack? 2-3" hairline crack. I continue to ask Cliff - how are the heads, valves, pistons, oil, etc etc. Everything else looks fine, but the engine block is the problem. Ugghhh..... What are my options? New engine - $11,000 or we have a used engine that was in a car accident (roll over) with 1900 miles and a cracked valve cover (we'll just take your valve cover off and put on used engine) - $6900

By this time, I am almost in tears...there is no way I have 6900 or 11000 sitting in the kitty. Are there any payment options? No, we have to have the money up front. Uggghhh.... Last question - Do you think that this could be a manufacturing defect in the casting of the block? Yes, it is a possibility. Okay, well let me think about this. Not a problem.

Make a phone call to the dealership where I purchased my car brand new in ATL (Heritage Cadillac) and they immediately tell me 'defect'. Make another call to my old sales rep who is now at Capitol Cadillac and Brad says the same thing 'defect'. His response was simple - for a Northstar Engine to crack under 100,000 miles is not right. The guts are supposed to go before the block - aka the heads, valves, etc etc. Brad is very sympathetic and proceeds to give me the Cadillac Number to file a complaint.

Complaint is filed and not only does the customer service rep says, 'we are putting this on emergency case, because we find it very odd the engine block would crack' I call the next day, and get another customer service rep & another one after that. Jore' says he's been in touch with the dealership and will call me back between 6-8pm EST. Great. Give him all of my numbers. Gives me positive feedback in that there's a good chance of having some assistance on the matter at hand. Wonderful... To my dismay, no phone call, nothing. I call again the next day, Jore' is not there...I leave a message. No call yet. My dealership says they have called several times & just reached voicemail as well. I call again....no one there. Final call...Jore' answers. Apologies profusely and proceeds to tell me, that he's out of the office at 730pm EST. Then why do you tell me that you'll call between specified hours and it doesnt happen? Silence. Aske Jore' status on getting this matter taken care of. Due to the high mileage and you are 48,000 past warranty, we can only give you a $3000 customer loyalty certificate towards the purchase of a 'new' cadillac. This offer cannot be used with any other offers, trade-ins, etc etc. What??!!!! He also informs me, I should have purchased the additional warranty. 'I purchased a Cadillac based on their reputation for quality and customer service. I did not purchase and spend $59,000 (in cash) for an automobile to crater under 100,000 miles.' I'm sorry, but this is all we can do for you. I will temporarily close this case as customer dissatisfied. You bet Im dissatisfied. Asked Jore' about why everyone has said this is a defective engine block and why aren't the engineers and research and development at Cadillac at all interested in taking a look at what possibly happened? Im sorry, but I can't do anything further. Grrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With no money to fork out to Cadillac, I contact Mercedes Benz and give them a scenario...2 dealerships say, with out a doubt, they would take the engine out, give me a new one, no questions asked. If that is unsatisfactory, will swap out the car for a different one of the same value. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. They were extremely disappointed with Cadillac.... So am I.

Who's fitting the bill? My parents....$6900. With the new used engine, the PacNorWest Regional Manager is only giving a 1yr warranty. So does this mean, at end of the year, that this could very well happen again? Well, we can't give you a 100,000 mile warranty on the used engine, because it is used. I'm sorry. Ridiculous.

My car will be done on Friday and I will never, ever buy another GM product ever again. Poor customer service and not standing behind their name - Quality...we'll stand behind our product. B.S. My next car for sure will not be a Cadillac or GM. I'm sure Peter Sharpe has no idea these things are transpiring before his eyes.

Extremely disappointed..........

mod edit title

Last edited by Stealth; 06-27-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Default RE: Don't Buy A Cadillac!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

i understand and am sorry that this has happened to you but i see that it's a lot of money but though the situation sucks and happens to few peolple that automobile is an investment i mean you know as well as i that almost $60,000 isn't pocket change but you did make the right choice in buying the used engine, that situation should riun a true cadillac lovers love for cadillacs, i mean you do by all means havea right to be mad but you though i am a proud owner if i had gone through all that and was blatently disrepected as you were i would look for tsb's, recalls, lemon law... and look for a leagal suit against whoever is the sole "maker" of the engine track it all down the engine ID # on the engine take leagal action which is proven that most of the time favor lean in the consumers position...but still acdillac s are great vehicles you din't think that near the same happened with other high end vehicles mercedes, lexus, lincon,BMW, Jajuar, ect... we all like to think that these things don't happen but the reality it happens with all cars so don't let this MAJOR! and unfortionite accident knock your love and ours of cadillacs remember we are a rare breed lol...best of luck with your future vehicle purchase decision...

--billyo
South Side,
Chicago