Cadillac Seville The Cadillac luxury combined with a performance sedan feel

1985 Seville

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Default 1985 Seville

This morning I had a chance to go see a 1985 Seville that someone has for sale.

I looked the vehicle over (39,700 miles) and it is in very good condition both the interior and exterior. I didn't see not one scratch or door ding on this car and the velour interior is like new.

I checked the underside for rust and I did see some. If I were to purchase it my intent was to have Ziebart spray on their sound deadner. I did notice that some metal pipe that appeared to be attached to the catalytic converter was rusted off or perhaps been caught at sometime and was broken off.

My only concern is the HT4100 engine in it. The garage floor had no visible signs of leakage. After I got home I did some internet research and found some not so nice reviews of the HT4100. I checked the GM parts direct website and they do list a V8 replacement motor for just above $2000.

The owner's asking price is $6K and given the mileage and condition I believe that to be a fair value. My concern is the engine. Right now I have no idea what it would cost to pull the engine and replace it if I had too or just chance buying it and cross that bridge should I come upon it.

I'm sure it has been asked before in this forum but how much of a risk am I taking? This would not be my primary vehicle to drive but to be driven on the weekends.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

The broken pipe is the air supply line from the smog pump, easily repaired. This engine has a reputation mainly because coolant was not changed at 24 month intervals. Left unattended, the intake gaskets corrode and coolant dumps onto the cam and lifters, fattening the cam. This engine requires coolant supplement added every 24 months to the cooling system along with fresh coolant. A car this old and this low of mileage is prone to many issues because of lack of maintenence other than oil changes.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Certified Members

I would also verify the rear brakes work. Lack of setting the parking brake EVERY time the car is shut off will eventually seize the rear calipers and they wont grip. With the car in gear and your foot on the brake, place your left foot on the park brake pedal and push down HARD!. Slowly release the brake pedal under your right foot. If the car creeps forward at all, the rear brakes are NOT working!! and usually require new rear calipers to repair this. I'm on the left coast and can buy these cars for around 2500.00 with twice the mileage, so in my left coast opinion 6000.00 is too much. Plan on changing ALL the fluids including the brake fluid and closly inspect all the brake hoses for aging cracks. Check both front drive axle boots for age cracking as well.

Last edited by carnut; 08-06-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the information.

The engine is what concerned me the most and I didn't inspect the engine in depth, such as pulling the oil dip stick, checking the coolant, etc. The owner didn't supply any service records so I figured the possibility of engine damage would be likely.

I called a couple of Cadillac dealers and spoke to their parts department to see what I could find out about the engine as far as a replacement. Two told me there was no replacement even though GM Parts Direct lists one. One told me to try Jasper for a rebuilt engine. I haven't had time to contact Jasper to follow up on this.

I wasn't to sure about the asking price. It seemed a bit high but given the condition of the interior and exterior I felt those were worth it. Even the plastic bumper filler was in excellent shape. I have found it very difficult to find one with a cloth interior in this condition. Leather I totally dislike. A local used car dealer has a nice two tone blue one on the lot and as soon as I saw the leather interior I was turned off. Just a personal preference. Even the newer cars today that have leather I hate, looks cheap if you ask me. Probably cheap to make rather than using cloth but this is a different discussion.

If the owner still has this car I'll look at what you have mentioned. The engine about all I can do is to check the fluid condition. I'm almost certain he wouldn't let me take it to someone to inspect it. It didn't smoke on start up I do know that so it likely wasn't burning any anti-freeze or oil.