Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Passkey issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Default Passkey issue

I just started having an issue with the Passkey system. It seems to be working intermittently when using either key. This leads me to believe it could be an issue with the sensor in the ignition. I also have a Valet remote start system installed. I do not use it that often (well, I just got this car), but so I am not sure if there is any inter-relationship between the 2 and the issue.

Isn't the message STARTING DISABLED related to the Passkey system only? I was able to remote start the car, then insert the ignition key and run fine.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by AIeradi
I just started having an issue with the Passkey system. It seems to be working intermittently when using either key. This leads me to believe it could be an issue with the sensor in the ignition. I also have a Valet remote start system installed. I do not use it that often (well, I just got this car), but so I am not sure if there is any inter-relationship between the 2 and the issue.

Isn't the message STARTING DISABLED related to the Passkey system only? I was able to remote start the car, then insert the ignition key and run fine.
congrats .. i see you got a new car.

historically, the aftermarket systems that co-mingle their functions with the Allante ignition and theft deterrent systems have been troublesome. These cars seem to have a mind of their own, not following the standard rules of integration.

Often the aftermarket system provides the info that is usually provided by the OEM equipment. So now you got TWO systems providing info, depending on which system you are using at a particular time.

Going by what you say, the remote control system, is providing right data but your key is not.

Have you tried another key? its possible that the key chip is acting up, after all, it is subjected to physical abuse.
it is always a good idea to keep a new key as a spare. I keep one with my pink slip for just such an event.

it could also be the ignition lock cylinder that the chip uses (electrical contacts) to complete the circuit.
contact cleaner can help you there.

Last edited by stomper; 07-20-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 AM

Thanks Stomper....I got the car in early July from a fellow member in Indiana.

Yes, I have tried both keys. I am wondering if the I am in "Armed" mode when trying to start the car. I did read that depending how the system is hooked up, the OCM could be receiving signals from the aftermarket unit.

My assumption about the key not providing the correct data was based on the message I was receiving on the DIC. I am presuming it could only come from the PASSKEY system experiencing an issue.

The car is getting a PA inspection today and I mentioned the issue to my mechanic. He was wondering if the car, since it is a 92, would store the codes or frequency setting from the systems. He though that was not possible for the PASSKEY system until 96.

We shall see...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by AIeradi
Thanks Stomper....I got the car in early July from a fellow member in Indiana.

Yes, I have tried both keys. I am wondering if the I am in "Armed" mode when trying to start the car. I did read that depending how the system is hooked up, the OCM could be receiving signals from the aftermarket unit.

My assumption about the key not providing the correct data was based on the message I was receiving on the DIC. I am presuming it could only come from the PASSKEY system experiencing an issue.

The car is getting a PA inspection today and I mentioned the issue to my mechanic. He was wondering if the car, since it is a 92, would store the codes or frequency setting from the systems. He though that was not possible for the PASSKEY system until 96.

We shall see...
I'm sure you are in armed mode, but the remote unit is able to disarm, whereas your key is not. If that is consistent, logic tells me the issue is likely to be between your key and the cylinder.

I dont know if the system stores codes regarding the passkey, never having had an issue with that.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Howd the inspection turn out?

Old 07-23-2009, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wcoates
Howd the inspection turn out?
Hey Bill. Overall it was Ok considering PA's inspection laws. The back caliper for the parking brake was seized, and that was a must to be repaired. So I opted to have the shop put on loaded Raybestos. They're not cheap. Also had the brake system flushed and filled. Everything else was fine...will need tires before next year but I knew that when I picked up the car.

Scott had the pull-down motor in a fixed spot as it burnt out on him. The deck lid is sitting a little high so I may replace the pull-down motor if I can't lower the mechanism.

I see a parts card in NE PA but he wants too much...and it is Pearl White!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1273812350.html

Hope all is well

Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by stomper
I'm sure you are in armed mode, but the remote unit is able to disarm, whereas your key is not. If that is consistent, logic tells me the issue is likely to be between your key and the cylinder.

I don't know if the system stores codes regarding the passkey, never having had an issue with that.

UPDATE: The garage had no issue with the PASSKEY system. They were getting in and starting the car right up. I was turning the key and watching the DIC as it went through system monitoring...maybe it gave it time to think and respond...who knows. very strange!