Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Engine Control System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Default Engine Control System Fault

I am having a problem with my 89 Allante. When I start it up I get an 'Engine Control System Fault' which stays on a period of about 20mins and then goes away. If I race the engine it will go out but then eventually comes back. I checked the error codes and it shows an E041 History, nothing current. The manual indicates this is a problem with the wiring from the distibutor to the ECM but I cannot find the connector on the distributor as described in the manual. Also, at times when I am driving the car sometimes falters and at times has stalled. It always starts right back up and there is no codes issued other than the E041 History code. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on and how to fix it?
Thanks, Gene

Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default E041 - Engine Control System Fault

E041 =No Cam Sensor Signal / cam sensor circuit prob
The ECM uses the cam sensor to tell it where #1 cyl is for sequential fuel injection below 2200rpm
which explains the rough running engine when it is not working.

the cam sensor is in the distributor. if the code comes and goes, you need to open the distributor,
clean the contacts, check for damage, wire degradation, brittle/broken wire loom, etc .. hope for the best.
patience is needed here.

should you need to replace it, it is also called the Hall Effect Switch, about $80 to $100+

rotate engine so that the distributor shaft window clears the cam sensor
remove the ignition rotor and you will it will give access to the screws after rotating the engine
the wire loom and connectors will be brittle, very gently remove the pickup wire plug from the igniton module,
then remove the module and loom as one unit, then remove the cam sensor.

the other choice is to remove the distributor and do it on the bench.
or replace the distributor.

ORIGINAL: rallante

I am having a problem with my 89 Allante. When I start it up I get an 'Engine Control System Fault' which stays on a period of about 20mins and then goes away. If I race the engine it will go out but then eventually comes back. I checked the error codes and it shows an E041 History, nothing current. The manual indicates this is a problem with the wiring from the distibutor to the ECM but I cannot find the connector on the distributor as described in the manual. Also, at times when I am driving the car sometimes falters and at times has stalled. It always starts right back up and there is no codes issued other than the E041 History code. Can anyone give me a clue as to what is going on and how to fix it?
Thanks, Gene