Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

done with my 93?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: done with my 93?

ORIGINAL: hyperion

This thread has been running long enough without my two cents worth. First, I bought my car because it was a cadillac. I would have been happier if it had been made entirely in the U.S. but the italy thing is a good conversation piece. Grille "dimple?" I would never think of changing. It's "Cadillac." (Only thing I have added to my caris a gold Cadillac medallion to my center brake light) As far as development in the series, I would still take my 87 over any of the others. Of course the 4.5's added more horsepower but I believe you would have found no owners of the 4.1's looking for "more horses" in this car. Phase two tops? just a more complex system to "bugger" up an already badly designed operation. Now we get to the "93's" NOW we finally get to a Cadillac, with Cadillac seats and comfort. More Cadillac than sportscar so something else had to be added and they went "under the hood" to do so. First off, there go the brakes! Admittedly one of the best systems in the industry as far as performance but becoming quite troublesome with some mention of "class suits." So back to standard Cadillac brakes. Now we throw in the Northstar. Not because the car needs all that power but because it is the prettiest power plant under the hood of any U.S. car. (Look at that beautifull V12, Jaguar fooled with for a while.)
So there you go. One other opinion. On my car, I dislike the soft top and the placement of the sideview mirrors. I could probably get used to those mirrors if my car was a daily driver but no amount of time in the car would change my opinion of the top!

I like my '88 with the 4100, feels like plenty of power until a 6-cyl Mustang leaves you in the dust .. aghghghgh .. so, one learns to not get pulled into such competition, knowing you gonna lose. The 4100 has plenty to keep up with most, plenty to crack the triple digit mph, just not enough to dust many. The Northstar? May I refrain from comments on that one ? i see the N* as designed to be "untouchable" to a backyard mechanic.

I dont even mind the Cadillac badge on the tail light, or on the wheel centers, but those lines on the grill were not meant to be disturbed .. Pinifarina knew that, but GM stood firm. Nothing a screwdriver cant correct.

I dont even mind the soft top operation .. I simply dont ever use it with the exception of getting caught in the rain , as it happened a couple days ago.

I love the BOSCH III ABS on that '88 and absolutely swear by it. So I gotta change the fluid on it every other year, no big deal .. you see, I crammed a two Stangs under other cars, twice - once my fault, once not my fault, so you see, I can appreciate the value of the Bosch III stopping ability. I do drive cars to their potential. My Lincoln MK VIIs also had ABS and didnt appreciate the trumping when activated. (TO those of you that dont have a BOSCH III ABS, there is NO THUMPING, it just stops the car now). I do love the 275 hp they come with.

Now we have the monster complaints for my '88:
1. BOSE - 100 Watts on a convertible? What were they thinking? I upgraded to 200 W and still, lacking.
2. VISORS - That is it .. I damn had it .. enough with the damn potato chip clips, enough with the busted map lights, enough with getting hit on the head .. ENOUGH .. ENOGU .. ENOUGH !
3. Weak transmission even with a 4100 engine, enough of the 440 turbo hydro transmission. Enough.

So .. Phase II, 1992 .. here I come.
1. BOSE 200 Watt still lacking, but there are such thing as aftermarket systems.
2. VISORS - WOW, they work normal.
3. The 4T60E transmission - undecided and withholding a review.

I still get left in the dust by Stangs but now they are of the GT 5.0 versions, the 6-cyl I can leave in the dust, most "tuners" dont have a clue or a chance.

I get to have what I like the best .. timeless automobile style, superb luxury, Cadillac comfort, Bosch III ABS, Kaiper Recaro, excellent handling, stable chassis at 100++ mph, large truck capacity (kid's cargo), a few thousand Phase I donors at waiting, inexpensive donor engines/transmissions .. the top is back there somewhere, should I need it.

Biggest concern, there are probably under 500 cars left of the 1992 vintage, so one has to count on the early models for parts .. it helps if one can make things work.

I am moving UP to the Phase II. For raw brute power, I got the '86 Stang and it sits 4.
I believe that I will be holding at this point.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Today, no matter what car you own and regardless of the price there will always be another on the road that can "dust you off."

Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Zin
How do you really feel about that top? Guys the term double nickel has new meaning as Mrs. Zin just celebrated that many years with the ZINZIN yesterday. Wish her the best!

Zal,

Used Ike's wunnerful interstate system to drive 75 miles yesterday to buy a pearl white Phase 1 hardtop. Am ordering Fox's eyebolts from bosunsupplies.com. Don't know why except it was cheap ($415) and two turns away up the interstate. The hunt starts now. (Am prepared for a long hunt as wifey asked for no more than 2 toy cars in the drive-doesn't care what they are or what they cost--she's right I'd have it looking like a junkyard w/o her). Will look for either the right '92 or '93. Will take my time like you did but this is the next toy.

G.A.R.Y.

please tell me the Pa. garage (barn ) queen wasn't pearl white.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wcoates

G.A.R.Y.

please tell me the Pa. garage (barn ) queen wasn't pearl white.
Barn would be correct. Pearl white incorrect. She had no top so she was my nubian nude.
Wanted to take a look at the Monzo polo green 93 for sale but decided that I will probably never own another allante.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:56 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

ORIGINAL: G.A.R.Y.
decided that I will probably never own another allante.
We all move on after a while, but interested in why not! sell high (10.5k) buy low (5.9k).

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

We all move on after a while, but interested in why not! sell high (10.5k) buy low (5.9k).
Sell high buy low was the only reason I gave it any thought. However, I will be looking at newer caddy's and perhaps zr-1 or perhaps I will find the body to put the motor in I have laying around. Today going to Dania Beach marina to look at a boat. Something else I thought I would never buy again. As you can see, I have lots of stuff to play with or think about other then another allante. Remember SNL more cow bell? With me it's more HP and the allante did not satisfy in that area, although I had her for over 13 years.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Gary made a good point, sometimes is actually moving UP.

The Allante has been a hold point for me. There are a few reasons for that hold point, some are
private, some are public knowledge. The one you may be familiar is where I stepped DOWN, in the
interest of raising my kids .. not from a two seater, but from a two wheel world into a ragtop world.

I drool to the time where I can once again move back UP .. if that is ever possible. The day that
happens, the cave will have a new resident and the Allante will .. well, most likely, move on?

As to anyone's chasing any Allante, this note below written to me by someone (if he chooses to, he can
swing by and tag it) you know very well, says a lot. I believed that since the dawn of my Allante relationship,
I been saying something a bit similar, and to this day, holds true.

To many, the Allante is a toy - I dont quite get that.
For me, to the day, the Allante is what it has always been .. basic transportation.
I do have a toy, put about 500 miles in 18 months and needs some serious TLC,
but it is definitely a toy, not a Cadillac.

One final note ... I have noticed an interesting pattern.
People own an Allante for 10+ years, talk about it as if it was, sacred? Then, unexpected, out of
nowhere they sell it, they part it, and they vanish not to be seen or heard from again? How many times
have I read the words " lost interest" .. LOST INTEREST .. ? At least, when the time comes for me to
move UP, you wont hear that, simply cuz it doesnt apply. It will simply be a chapter in car ownership.
Read 9 lines up.

By .. name withheld

Zal:

I'm not sure what effect the 90.5 has on anything. I'm not sure Allante buyers knew the difference between them at the time. The "Electric" soft top was a fraud.

As much as I like my top's virtually pure hand-operation with just the windshield header latches being electric, I've gotta say that the claims made for those latches are fraudulent. Many ads in e-Bay for Allantes refer to these as "Electric top" or "automatic top." which is a humbug.

My reasoning for the 91 being lower on percentages in the database is, I have the impression that, for some strange reason, 91 Allantes seem to get trashed more often than the others . . . I have utterly no clue why that would be. George Bush 41 was busy kicking Saddam's *** when the 91s were being delivered . . . Who knows. Perhaps 91 buyers possessed more "brio" and ran 'em harder. Who knows?

As to the 93s, they change hands much more often than the others. Out of proportion to the degree to which they outnumber each earlier year. I don't think owners "love" the 93 as deeply as the earlier cars, and I cannot think of a rational reason for that.

I could put tigether a convincing sales pitch for just about any year Allante, including the 93. If I had a 93, I'd probably love it as much as I do Max. But it wouldn't have the Recaros, It wouldn't have the redundant lighting system, it wouldn't have the magnificent Bosch III ABS/TCS (a dubious distinction shared by the earlier cars). What the 93 Allante is is a Seville in an Allante shell, with a Northstar power train, but beautiful, as are they all.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Tech Certified Members

Actually - I don't think the Allante started out as 'basic' transportation - not with a price tag of over $50,000 in the late 80s and early 90s.

To each their own as far as toys go (heck, I have a friend that has a great little Gremlin - complete with a 304 v8 and the 'coveted' Levi interior - and he loves his toy) - yes, mine will move up as well - when the time/money is right - but, for now, the allante is fun.

It's production line partner will be fun too... eventually. And far less than Gary's zr-1, for a lot more 'wow' factor. I dare anyone to park a zr-! next to a Testarossa and even notice there is another car other than the Italian...

Plus, there is all this anxiety to get the allante to 'classic' status - heck, mine is only 15 years old. We should be happy they are already showing up at Me***s, RMs - and other car auctions... That is a pretty fast 'show up' at those prestigious auction houses... I would imagine that most american cars have to wait longer than that -

Old 04-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Fox,

this dont sound collectible.

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_21036/tm.htm

I'm not sure there is another car out there with as much hype ..
whatever it was trying to be at its dawn, at $50K+, it is no longer.

However, free thinking is OK, and since money talks, a fat check is of course acceptable
in trade for any of my .. err .. collectibles! I would say that in this case, a five digit check
speaks loudly.