Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

done with my 93?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: done with my 93?

ORIGINAL: wcoates

Hey Foxpaws--bad mouth my Vette, bad mouth my Allante-but for us 60+ers, please watch the little blue pill comments -we get sensitive!

Damn- Bob Rich sold his '93, Rickko sold his '93, G.A.R.Y. sold his '93. What's goin on here?
Bill,

are you keeping up ? Tom is also dumping his '93.
in fact, the '93 is a most popular model in ebay this month.

they are all on a rush to get something before they are worth only $3,000.
at this rate of selling its gonna be a buyers market headed for the under $5,000.

hey .. have I been wrong yet?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Location: Canfield, Ohio (halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh)

Stealth,
You've been right on target re: pricing for quite awhile. Yeh, i saw that T. Rohner had a '93 on ebay, he had in in the classifieds for $9995 obo-130,000 miles!

GARY, What do we call you now, certainly not 93allanteragtop no mo. Saw your team made the dance, I think I'll even follow them closely.

Foxpaws, damn good looking BMW but I see GARY in the GM toy.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: wcoates

Stealth,
You've been right on target re: pricing for quite awhile. Yeh, i saw that T. Rohner had a '93 on ebay, he had in in the classifieds for $9995 obo-130,000 miles!

GARY, What do we call you now, certainly not 93allanteragtop no mo. Saw your team made the dance, I think I'll even follow them closely.

Foxpaws, damn good looking BMW but I see GARY in the GM toy.
Bill,

this is more like it:

a gorgeous 76,000 mile California car, Polo Green '93 for around $7,000

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/606209578.html

Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 AM

Are Allante prices in California the lowest in the Country? I hope so.

A great read on cars as investments on St. Paddy day on my way to Irish Bob's for my first green beer of the day.

Damn- Bob Rich sold his '93, Rickko sold his '93, G.A.R.Y. sold his '93. What's goin on here?

Expert lists 6 car models he says you can bank on

Published:Monday, March 17, 2008

Expert lists some cars that he considers good investments.

NORFOLK, Va. — It’s tax time, that time of year when we reconsider how we spend, save and invest our money. Considering the stock market’s current malaise, you might want to try a different investment with your cash.

How about buying an older car? If you pick the right one, it could be a sound investment that will appreciate over time.

David Kinney, a Virginia journalist who follows the auction markets of older cars as publisher of “Cars That Matter Price Guide,†offered his advice. He put together a list of cars that were no older than 30 years, could be bought for mad money and could yield a profit when it’s time to sell.

“I will guarantee that every one of these cars have done better than the stock market has since the beginning of the year,†Kinney said.

Here are six models Kinney calls good investments, along with his comments:

TOYOTA SUPRA, 1986-92

“A car that people are going to want to have. It has a reputation as a well-built and sexy car in its own way. Everyone had a friend who owned one.â€

What’s to like: “The styling stands up to time. They’re relatively forgotten, and you haven’t seen many of them at all.â€

But beware: “Many rusted, or are all used up. You’ll have to look for the little old lady one, but they’re out there. Also, turbos back then were very fragile, more so than today.â€

Price: $1,625 to $7,200

FORD THUNDERBIRD, 2002-05

“They were meant for cruising. The amenities are more important than the power. I don’t think people were buying them to be Corvettes.â€

What’s to like: “Service and parts are easy to find. Very distinctive, great colors and pretty luxurious. Expensive when new, these cars were bought by owners who were careful with them.â€

But beware: “There was a period when they made a ton of Thunderbirds, and they’re still not collectible.â€

Price: $13,500 to $29,700

CADILLAC ALLANTE, 1987-93

“There are things to be said for the early ones, although most people prefer the later ones because of the Northstar V8.â€

What to like: “I have seen some price increases on those recently. Just slightly. But there’s more collector interest in them now.â€

But beware: “Hardtops are not interchangeable year to year. You buy one of these cars and put a hardtop on it and most people take them off and never use them again.â€

Price: $3,500 to $14,000

MERCEDES-BENZ 300D TURBODIESEL WAGON, 1979-85

“This will blow you away: I have now seen two of them that are being restored for major collections.â€

What’s to like: “They could be nice cars. They’re really well-screwed together and have a lot of potential upside. They sold a lot of them new.â€

But beware: “They have rust problems, and every one you find has a quarter-million miles on them. They’re expensive to buy, run and restore.â€

Price: $1,350 to $6,200

TRIUMPH TR8, 1980-81

“They had V8 engines, which is very rare in a British sports car. This is the only place left in the world where they’re not being bid up.â€

What’s to like: “That styling, which was so polarizing, is coming back into style. They do have ugly tartan interiors, but that’s part of the period charm.â€

But beware: “Stay away from coupes; convertibles are worth a lot more. Find one that hasn’t been played around with. The ones that are worth the most are ones that are stock.â€

Price: $5,490 to $26,200

VOLKSWAGEN GTI, 1985-89

“You know, this is a car that has a great following and had a huge impact on the market; it redefined what a sports car was at the time.â€

What’s to like: “Small, fast and nimble — they were aimed at and denoted youth. If you couldn’t buy one then, it’s a good time to buy one now.â€

But be aware: “It’s hard to find one that hasn’t been highly modified or bitten by the tin worm.â€

Price: $2,000 to $6,400

Old 03-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Bill, Fox,

I get it.I see where Fox is comming from, butwhen it comes down to making the final choice I want to get the biggest bang (stock)for the buck, which actually takes me back to the Z06. She's not the prettiest thing on the road but she is a beast, and I like my girls hot. Also like the MB s600 amg but different car altogether and well over 100k. As you can see I'm wandering all over the place. When it happens it happens, you guys will be the first to know. With regards to the 10500 for my beautiful black allante, I will start looking at the sts-v and see how those guys are dealing right now. In the meantime driving my vette and Sam's volvo will do.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

GARY,

Well, we all know that Corvettes = Midlife crisis -

So, is your trophy wife going to be Kathrine Zeta Jones or Anna Nichol Smith?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Fox,

some of us were into bikes, Vettes and muscle cars scene long ago in our 20s,
way before the so called midlife crisis and long ago before anyone ever heard of little
blue pills. forget N.Smith ... but Zeta Jones .. ahhhhh yes.

heck, except for your mentioning, i had never connected the two and surely didnt
know it was blue .. thanks a lot Bill.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: foxpaws

GARY,

Well, we all know that Corvettes = Midlife crisis -

So, is your trophy wife going to be Kathrine Zeta Jones or Anna Nichol Smith?
I'm not sure I agree with your midlife crisis ID regarding the z06. Take a ride down on SOBE and you will see many under 40 cruising in the z06 and vipers and of course the higher end autos. My only care is HP and 0 to 60 and the z06 can be had for about 72-75k and without too much trouble you could be looking at well over 600hp.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Certified Members

GARY -

Since you seem to only want to look at American Iron...

Corvette ZR1
600 HP
595 lb.-ft. of torque
dual transmision
0 to 60 in 3.0 even seconds
supercharged

2009 Dodge Viper ACR
678 hp
645 lb-ft torque
0 to 60 mph: 2.8 sec
straight engine

even a straight viper - (not the ACR) will keep even with a ZR1 - and take the z06

And yes, even I in younger years suc***bed to a 'vette - 71 LS5 stringray - one of the happiest days of my life is when I sold the vette and the guy that came with it... and bought my Porsche

Old 03-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Well I've been thinking I don't need two convertibles so was thinking about sellin the Vette or the allante. Brake issue is getting to be such a PITA that for just a moment I was thinking of a "93. Stoulda given GARY a two for one deal he couldn't refuse. I've owned Vettes of 4 different generations but no c5 or c6 but gotta agree with GARY that $ for $ the Vette is still the way to go especially if a daily driver.

Hope someday to be with ya all in some little bar from Key Largo to Key West stacking beer cans with Fox's lil umbrellas in them. Fox just don't ask about my '71 Mille Miglia Red LS6 unless you get kicks from seeing an old man crying crocodile tears!

Quick Reply: done with my 93?