Cadillac PininFarina Allante A joint venture with Coachbuilder PininFarina to design and build the Cadillac two top convertible roadster of the 1980's.

Allante navigation and camera system ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default Allante navigation and camera system ?

Asked this 5 years ago, the answer was ... a lot of laughs and jabs.

So now I ask again, after 5 years of new technology.
On the '92 Allante, I am not using the bottom half of the D.I.C., the tape/CD part.

Car came with a aftermarket glove box BOSS DVD that works well plus a Sony multichanger system
that I have had no time to see how and if it works.

question 1:
Is there a system that will fit there and provide navigation and camera functions?

question 2:
Would like to have a video/picture recording function of some sort .. I have lost TWO Allante bumpers
in parking lots, no notes, nada ... people just hit it and keep going. I want evidence so make them pay
for the damage. IF you know what a bumper costs, you understand the problem.

COSTCO has a $80 rear camera system that I keep thinking should help in all this.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Allante navigation and camera system ?

i just installed one on a different car. it's supposed to work only when you back up, so it doens't distract you when you're driving. Basically it's on when the car's in reverse. I hotwired the camera to the switched 12 volt on the car stereo so now its on when the car's on. To record with you you're going to need a DVR and to mount it somwhere where people can't steal it, such as the trunk, it's going to have to be on the whole time, and it might drain your battery with the camera. You might be able to use a VCR to record or something like that, but it's still going to be draining the battery.