88' Cold Start Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Default 88' Cold Start Trouble

Greetings! I know there is a thread I'm supposed to read somewhere to help me with this first post but I haven't found it yet. So until I do... I have an 88' Fleetwood Brougham that wouldn't start on a cold morning. I suspect a choke problem but know little about this vehicle. It has an Olds engine with a 4BBL carb. My son tried to start it and called me when it wouldn't. I pulled the breather and checked the butterfly valves. They were closed. Hit the ignition and it sounded like it wanted to start but wouldn't. It was here I noticed the smell of gasoline. Thinking it was flooded I put the accelerator to the floor and tried again. It started this time but ran so rough I thought the hood would flip off. While it was idling I pushed open the butterfly valve a bit and it immediatly died. Where can I go to get reliable info for this vehicle and it's ailment. Any help would be appriciated. I will have to restore this vehicle when my son is finished with it. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: 88' Cold Start Trouble

Factory service manual would be best , ebay, used manual vender, join www.alldata.com, Chilton or Motors professional series manual. Primary choke pull off may have failed, not uncommon. They used to be pretty cheap, but that was years ago. You may need carb # to get it. Number is on driver side of carb towards rear probly starts 1708_ _ _ _.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks slowroll. I've tried ebay for the shop manual but I've not found any for a 1988 Fleetwood Brougham. I find all the different names confusing (Fleetwood, Brougham, DeVille) and I'm not sure if I have the vehicle I think I have. I've read that it is considered to be the 3rd generation Fleetwood but then the author went on to describe something that didn't sound anything like my car. Mine has a 307 and rear wheel drive. I'll get the VIN this weedend and try to break it down on the web. Any good recommendations for VIN web sites? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

Your car is a D body. FSM will have Brougham in title and will only cover that model. 86-89 are pretty much the same car.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Taddduck

Thanks slowroll. I've tried ebay for the shop manual but I've not found any for a 1988 Fleetwood Brougham. I find all the different names confusing (Fleetwood, Brougham, DeVille) and I'm not sure if I have the vehicle I think I have. I've read that it is considered to be the 3rd generation Fleetwood but then the author went on to describe something that didn't sound anything like my car. Mine has a 307 and rear wheel drive. I'll get the VIN this weedend and try to break it down on the web. Any good recommendations for VIN web sites? Thanks.
edit ..

our resident TECH slowroll has pointed out that the manual below is for the "C" car fwd, not "D" car rwd
i shall search for a better suitable manual later this evening.

slowroll, thanks for keeping us straight ...

===============

here is one for $15 + $4 Media mail Shipping .. "C" FWD car.
even includes the OWNERs MANUAL

I will be gone by the weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...hippingPayment

Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Thanks again for the help. I'm not very familiar with Cadillac model years and what they look like. I've seen several Cadillacs that look like mine but some have been as much as ten years older. I noticed the plastic lens on my car are marked 80', 82', and 84'. Was there really so little change over that much time? Oh, second question: My VIN number indicates my engine is a 4.7L but the emissions lable says its a 5.0L. The guy I bought it from said it was an Oldsmobile engine and it had been replaced (I don't remember why) at the dealership locally. What should be in there and how do I tell what I have? Thanks.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Certified Members

US Broughams only had 5.0l /307cid olds engine, vin Y. On the pad where oil fill is located 5.0l is cast. There are many differences between the 307 and the 330,350,and 403. Post 1st 11 characters and I will decode it. Last 6 are sequence. It would not be uncommon for the weak 5.0 to be replace with larger Olds engines.