Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

97' Eldorado over heat issue-Help please

Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM
Default 97' Eldorado over heat issue-Help please

I posted this earlier the wrong area of forum my apologies:

Hello, I'm new here my motor overheated about 20 miles from home pulled over as all the info was telling me on dash to do going up a slight grade at the time noticed loss in power pulled over immiedatly then towed home noticed coolant on ground right side of car, lost over a gal of coolant replaced cap added coolant. same problem occurred 10 miles from home towed to shop was told water pump, thermostat needs replacement ok did that as well as a complete coolant system flush. Block not cracked codes cleared.

Drove car after repaired about 20 miles check coolant came on added 1 qt next day drove another 16-20 miles check coolant again had to add just over 1/2 gallon. I'm frustrated at this point as this all happened within 2 days from repair. Was I miss diagnosed?

I go to another approved repair facility have a diagnosis done they said head gasket is blown and 700 hydrocarbons detected. Did I have blown gasket in the beginning or did this occur after water pump replaced? I love my car 130k miles everthing else appears great, except I do think I have one fuel injector that has some build up on it. none the less what's an average repair cost for the gasket? shall I have that one injector replaced also? Do I need a new motor? did the new water pump create blown head gasket? is this what they call a ripple effect? thank you all for your help

Old 04-30-2017, 07:42 AM
Tech Certified Members

The coolant leak caused the blown head gasket most likely. Water pump needed to be replaced so cooling system stopped leaking first. There was a chance the head gaskets wouldn't fail due to overheating. Head gasket repair is expensive and there is a chance engine could need replaced if threads strip in block. Used engines are selling for less than 1500. Labor rates will vary by shop and region but 2500-5000 should cover head gaskets or a used engine install. A reman engines are 4-8k plus install. Engine is supposed to be removed to replace head gaskets.There should be lower labor costs if replacing verses repairing engine.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by slowroll
The coolant leak caused the blown head gasket most likely. Water pump needed to be replaced so cooling system stopped leaking first. There was a chance the head gaskets wouldn't fail due to overheating. Head gasket repair is expensive and there is a chance engine could need replaced if threads strip in block. Used engines are selling for less than 1500. Labor rates will vary by shop and region but 2500-5000 should cover head gaskets or a used engine install. A reman engines are 4-8k plus install. Engine is supposed to be removed to replace head gaskets.There should be lower labor costs if replacing verses repairing engine.
Thank you again for the information slow roll, since I've not driven many miles approx 50, do you think it would be wise to drain coolant system use fresh coolant and the 6 pellets from AC delco and NOT flush out with tap water just refill with fresh coolant and distilled water 50/50. I'm not sure the shop I went to was the sharpest knife in the drawer figuratively speaking. Since I don't know whether this shop used distilled or tap water as the 50/50 mix and not sure if they flushed it with tap water. The car has a tiny hg leak it's not a full blown head gasket at this time, no smoke or water is coming from the exhaust, no water in the oil. thoughts please. Thank You

Old 05-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

There really is no slight head gasket leak. Northstar is a unique engine that the norms don't apply in the beginning. If there high hydrocarbons a head gasket is leaking. They rarely intermix coolant in oil. smoking comes over time and coolant loss increases. There are "head gasket in a can" which is more of a temporary fix. Hopefully it will last long enough to trade off. It is unlikely that the cooling tabs will correct problem, cooling system is designed for maybe 21 psi. Compression from cylinder is 100 psi being pump in hundreds of times a minute.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
There really is no slight head gasket leak. Northstar is a unique engine that the norms don't apply in the beginning. If there high hydrocarbons a head gasket is leaking. They rarely intermix coolant in oil. smoking comes over time and coolant loss increases. There are "head gasket in a can" which is more of a temporary fix. Hopefully it will last long enough to trade off. It is unlikely that the cooling tabs will correct problem, cooling system is designed for maybe 21 psi. Compression from cylinder is 100 psi being pump in hundreds of times a minute.
Hi SR, Thank you, I always try my best to take good care of my car and I didn't have a leak in the head gasket till after the shop flushed it and put a detergent additive in it with no sealer properties. I didn't realize this till after I had driven approx 50 miles. then after I drove 20 miles is when I had to add a quarter of coolant, then the 20-30 miles was 2 quarts of coolant. I stopped driving at that point. the shop put in RMI-25 CLEANER see attached photo. I think this is what caused the HG to start the leak process. I'm at this point pretty upset as I had a fine vehical. all the cleaner solution did was strip away what was suppose to seal lube and protect the seals and gaskets. if I'm wrong please help me understand thank you

Cleans

Inhibits

Lubricates

Conditions

NON-TOXIC AND BIODEGRADABLE

Welcome to the official website of Nevada Coolant, LLC, makers of RMI-25. RMI-25 restores the additive package to your antifreeze. RMI-25 is a liquid consisting of a pH Stabilizer for acid/alkaline balance, an Oxygen Scavenger to prevent cavitation, erosion and cylinder pitting. A Lubricant for seals, hoses and water pumps. A Cleaner that breaks down rust, scale and corrosive deposits. These deposits are changed from solids to a soft floating harmless gel-like material. These dissolved solids will not recombine or form blockages in the cooling system. After a period of time the dissolved solids will purge out of the system and into the coolant recovery tank. In the case of vehicles with coolant filters the dissolved materials will trap in the filter. In a couple weeks of driving, a dirty system will be nearly clean. This cleaning action is continuous when engine is in operation. Once clean metal status is reached an organic barrier is then formed on the clean metal preventing further contamination. Water Conditioning is accomplished by a surfactant agent, improving heat transfer, making water more efficient than coolant itself.

If you’ve got more questions, please take a look at the product details or the Frequently Asked Questions. For you gear-heads out there, you can also check out the tech specs page.

The official website of Nevada Coolant, LLC, makers of RMI-25