Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

73 Dash Clock

Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Default 73 Dash Clock

1973 Eldorado Convert.
I had removed the dash awhile back ago out of the car and stored it in my basement where it has been for probably close to 10 yrs. I am now getting ready to clean the dash up along with Other parts. The **** on the clock which turns the hands has ac***ulated some rust from sitting I guess. This rust has also left a very small residue mark on the plastic lens (inside) where the actual hole is for the **** to go through. I have slightly bent back the tabs that hold this unit together for removal of the lens and **** to get at too clean. My question, finally..........how the hell do you remove the ****? I can see how it is in place with all the gears etc., but wondering if in fact this **** unscrews somehow; or has to be removed from the gears?? Any and All the help would really be appriciated.
Thnx.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Certified Members

i woukd guess the **** and stem have rusted together as you mentioned.. could you put some penetrating oil of some kind to try and loosen the **** from the stem? good luck, and let us know how you make out......
rickyd

Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Yes, I can definately put some oil on there which is what I am going to do right now. I just didn't know if it was pressed onto the shaft or screwed on. I'll start with the oil and we'll go from there.
thnx.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

if i were to guess, id say shes pressed on..... though good question, and let us know. id also be real careful in tugging that off, so as not to disrupt the inner workings of the clock. if you could hold the stem with needle nose plyers, while you tug on *** in a turning fashion.
rickyd

Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 AM

Just for information..............the **** is "threaded". I've had this thing soaking since last week. I used a small set of needle nose and grasped the stem just below the ****. Take care not to scratch the face of the clock or bend any of the hands for this is a very type spot since the lens is still on and there is not much room between both the lens and faceplate. Another thing.........when you take hold of the stem with the needle nose or which ever tool you use, be sure not to scratch; mark up; teeth marks (from pliers) on the stem. The stem is spring action for when you push in on the **** to set the time/hands. If this stem gets any burs it will be difficult for the stem to slide into spring cavity. You WILL have a very hard time removing them (burs).
I used 3M Scotch Brite pad to remove the discolored s*** off of the **** and brought it back to that nice shiny appearance again. Once I have this dash all together and cleaned up I'll try and post a photo.
Thnx.!

Last edited by sambo42xa; 03-23-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: missed a word.......
Old 03-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

sambo.... hey thanks for getting back, and now we all know... again thanks for info
rickyd