Cadillac Eldorado This classic Caddy still stands today for complete luxury.

1992 Eldorado A/C Compressor Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM
Default 1992 Eldorado A/C Compressor Replacment

Hello,
I have an eldorado with the 4.9L. The compressor had a catastrophic failure and I purchased a variety of parts to clean and repair the system. However I am having trouble getting the A/C compressor off the car. The front bolts (on the pulley side, by wheel well) are out but I cannot get the rear torx (I assume haven't actually seen them well enough) bolts to come out because of the motor mount down there. The mount is so close to the bolts I cannot get a driver in the space.

Question 1: Is this normal or do I have an extra big motor mount or compressor or something?

Question 2: I see the bolts for the bracket that connects the a/c compressor to the motor mount bracket in the block. I cannot get them loose :-( Any tricks?

Basically how did any of you get the back off the car???

Thanks,
Carl

Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Tech Certified Members

You got the 3 bolts out of the front. Unbolt the bracket, in back of compressor, from the block. Transfer bracket don't tighten all the way until after attaching it to block.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:41 PM

You got the 3 bolts out of the front. Unbolt the bracket, in back of compressor, from the block. Transfer bracket don't tighten all the way until after attaching it to block.
I am just having a hell of a time getting those bolts off on the bracket. Tried PB fluid, impact gun, etc. I just either can't get the angle on it or don't have enough torque to take them out.

If anyone know anything that would make these bolts easier to get to or take out please let me know. In the mean time I guess I will let them soak in PB.