Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

O2 Sensor Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:31 AM
Default O2 Sensor Replacment

I did a search but I couldnt find any info. I am getting a E13 and E52 from the OBC. I think i need to replace the o2 sensor and if so I would like to do it myself. Could someone give me a detailed description of how to do so. I know there is a secial wrench involved and the sensor is in the exhaust manifold of the rear cylinder head. That may as well have been in Japanese because i dont understand any of it. I want to do it myself to learn not just to save money. I have a 93 deville and I believe there is only 1 o2 sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: O2 Sensor Replacment

ORIGINAL: niceguyjps
I know there is a secial wrench involved and the sensor is in the exhaust manifold of the rear cylinder head. That may as well have been in Japanese because i dont understand any of it.
May i suggest you start with a factory repair manual.
It offers pictures and step by step instructions to repair most anything on your car.

An O2 sensor replacement can be a 10 minute job or a major nightmare requiring a torch or worse a new manifold.
You did not mention the engine you are working on, but i believe there is more then one O2 sensor on that vehical.

Other than that the sensor is like a spark plug in the way it threads into the exhaust. 7/8 is the nut size but access problems may require a special tool of sorts. There are several diffent designed O2 tools depending on what you need.

I'm not sure what an E13 is but IIRC E52 just means the computers memory has been reset.
Many times an O2 code is not fixed by replacing the sensor. The code can be set because the sesor is picking problems in the engine control system.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:56 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: O2 Sensor Replacment

Hey there Guy: Cadillac's are fun aren't they????? Have just purchased a 1981 Brougham D'Elegance and am having fun with all the fixing. From what I can see you would be wise to start with the O2 sensor replacement first. Then with the code 52 you might be into computer problems as well. The o2 sensor requires a deep socket that has the side cut out of it. This is required so that the O2 sensor wire doesn't get damaged when you are putting the new one back in. I have tried a lot of different things but in the end bit the bullet and bought the deep socket tool which is about 20-25 dollars. I have used it several times since so was a good investment. It's a simple change with this tool, just put some wd40 on the threads about two days before you intend on doing the job and all should go well for you. Hope things go well , Don.