Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Trunk motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Default Trunk motor

ok, obviously my car and winter do not mix, my trunk motor literally FREEZES over in the closed position when its below freezing out, any suggestions on this? it works fine when its warmer out (lock de-icer and wd-40 does nothing)

Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Default RE: Trunk motor

bump?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:44 AM

mine does the same thing i tired poping it at nite, it opened a day later when the temp went up 20 degrees to the 30s lol try pulling on it up after you hear it click twice. i got it open like that last time

Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 AM

no i mean the motor that pulls it closed freezes in the closed position so it is impossible to close the trunk after it opens

Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 PM

when you press the trunk release it doens't even bother making noises or clicking ?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:32 PM

are you talking about the solenoid that has the bar on it that is doing the actual pulling down of the trunk, or are you talking about the lock on the trunk lid?
cuz if the solenoid is freezing down you should still be able to close the trunk by pushing it down until the lock catches the bar on the solenoid.
if it is the lock on the other hand you may have a small problem. I had this happen to me too on my 94. one thing you can do is take a screwdirver and force the lock to close and open it back up a few times to "warm" it up. another thing is to take off the little plastic housing around it and clean it out. a lot of dust and grime seem to find their way up into that small little place.
hope this helps

Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 PM

the that pulls it down, and nope it wont latch for the life of me when i push down on it

Old 02-23-2008, 03:24 PM

have you checked to see if the lock latch works, or if it may have the problem i was describing with the lock?

Well, if its not hitting the latch correctly it wont catch at all to close the trunk. does the trunk even close at all, or is it always popped?

One thing that it may be is the alignment between the lock and the bar on the solenoid. itdoesnt sound fun, but you may need to get someone little to jump in the trunk while you close the lid to see if the lock and latch are in fact coming in contact where theyre supposed to.

another thing is that the solenoid might just be really dirty too... if you have a chance to you should take a look at the condition of your pull down motor and see if its not beat to hell.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 PM

the lock, latch and all that are fine, the problem lays with the pull down

Old 02-25-2008, 06:00 PM

The only thing i could say for you to do than before you go and buy a new motor would be to take it apart and see if something is jamming the motor, or if theres and gunk and condensation preventing the motor from having a full range of motion. Other than that it just sounds like your motor is crappign out and you'll have to go get a new one...

I read in another thread though that some of the old lincoln have the same motor in the trunk, so you may just be one of the lucky ones who can get the same part for cheaper just cuz its not from a caddy.