Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Trunk latch.. never had this one before....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Default Trunk latch.. never had this one before....

Okay, I'll set the record straight here and tell you I'm a straight up Nissan guy. I can take my 240 apart and put it back together no problem.

Now the Caddy is my DD, left to me by my father when he passed. I am lost in the world of the Cadillac.

HERE'S the problem. After going through the forums, it seems most people have a problem with the electronic latch having already cycled down. My problem is a bit different. The latch is up, but the actual lid with not connect with the latch. No matter how much I try to beg the trunk to close, gently, a bit rough, no results. It just seems that it will not clasp onto the latch.

Anyone else run into this?

PLEASE HELP!

(right now i'm got some twine holding the trunk semi-down, and rigged to keep the trunk light off. I'm REALLLY not trying to go to the dealership as i really don't have the $$$)

Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Trunk latch.. never had this one before....

Sounds to me like your latch on the trunk is in the closed position. This happened once to me after one of my daugheter's friend SLAMMED it close. What I did was held the remote in one hand and got my pinky above the closed latch, clicked the remote and put slight pressure on the latch and presto it opened. After that I close the trunk and it latched, never had a problem ever again.

Now your issue maybe two fold because it seems like your power latch won't cycle down. You can adjust the latch on the trunk a bit , I believe there are three bolts on the mechanism, so you can lowerthe mechanismfor a tighter fit.

The power latch unit sells for about $60 on e-bay if you need to replace it.Bolts and wire connectors, that's all there is to it.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Here's one for $25.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...90028564QQrdZ1

Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

you may also check to see if the latch is grounded and
that the wires (if applicable) are as they should.

i know that in some cadis, the contact with the mating
lid completes the circuit somewhow.

best i can do with this. it is an incomplete answer but
that was my car, i be checking that.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I looked at my latch and believe it or not it is plastic, so there is pretty much no way it completes a ground.
The whole lid latch works with this plastic black arm that covers over the latch path. With the lid up you can use your key to see how it operates. That black plastic arm covers the latch path when opened. When the lid contacts the pull down the arm clicks up out of the way to allow the lid to catch. When the remote is pressed the arm clicks down again to pop open the lid.

Are you sure your pull down is not all the way down preventing the plastic arm frommaking contact and click up. Try pulling up on the pull down to be sure. Use slight pressure.