Trunk Latch

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Default Trunk Latch

I have a 99 coupe deville, the trunk won't close all the way and the motor keeps running. I found a round spring that looks like it belongs somewhere and just popped off, but I can't find a drawing of how the mechanism works so I know where it goes. The spring doesn't look damaged, it looks like it just jumped out of place. Probably from some goof who slammed the trunk, what is wrong with people?
Can anyone help?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Default Trunk Latch

No, the motor works fine, runs and all, but the part in the bottom of the trunk, that raises and lowers, it's not "seating" right. I think the spring was in there some how.
I pulled the fuse so I could close the trunk, but it drained the battery, really weird. So now I removed the bulb and while it is parked I put a box to hold the trunk down (put fuse back in).
I really would like to see a drawing of the mechanism so I can figure out where the spring goes. Dead broke and cannot pay the mechanic to fix it, just put $900 into her.
Any help will be appreciated!
Thanks

Old 09-18-2011, 06:51 AM

Durn it, just re-read your question. The trunk motor is what is running, not the engine. The motor for the automatic trunk closer, you know that whole soft close.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Default Trunk Motor

OK then, the spring, who knew where that came from. The clear plastic housing is cracked.
So, we go to junk yard, find another one with good housing. Install, doesn't work, so we take plastic housing off put on good motor (was working when we left for junkyard). Still won't work. I really think it was assembled wrong (love my husband, but he over thinks things). I really need a drawing of that piece. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,