Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Theft System Problem, car may not restart

Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Default Theft System Problem, car may not restart

Car worked fine yesterday, when I went to start this morning, received "Theft System Problem, car may not restart". Is there a way to bypass the theft system? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Default Its probably your TDM

Originally Posted by Tony Lake
Car worked fine yesterday, when I went to start this morning, received "Theft System Problem, car may not restart". Is there a way to bypass the theft system? Any help would be appreciated.
Check on youtube.com There are several ways to bypass it. My 99 is doing the same thing, except now it wont crank. Ended up costing me just over $600 to get it fixed.

Last edited by cuzbro; 02-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:53 PM

$900? To do what? I am having the same problem with my '98. When I got home I parked it on the street in case it needs to be towed (easy access), but it seemed to restart fine. I have seen in other forums that the problem is almost always the wires at the end of the ignition cylinder. Would running a computer diagnostic reveal any helpful codes? If the cylinder wires is the case on mine what can I realistically expect to spend for repair at a non-dealership? Thank you.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by chirogal1
$900? To do what? I am having the same problem with my '98. When I got home I parked it on the street in case it needs to be towed (easy access), but it seemed to restart fine. I have seen in other forums that the problem is almost always the wires at the end of the ignition cylinder. Would running a computer diagnostic reveal any helpful codes? If the cylinder wires is the case on mine what can I realistically expect to spend for repair at a non-dealership? Thank you.

That's probably the problem you have, that's what was wrong with mine. Youll probably have to take it to a dealer? I couldn't find independent mechanics who wanted to fool with replacing the switch because of the airbag. According to the videos the cost is somewhere between $500 and $900 bucks, depending on your area. Cost me $600 thereabouts.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 AM
Default bad cylinder

It's time consuming and a little nerve racking, but I disabled the air bag and pulled the steering wheel to replace the multifunction switch.It's the turn signal, wipers, cruse, etc. if not familiar with the term I wasn't. Youtube had all necessary info. I also misplaced my keys.Called dealership to purchase a key, they informed me that the odds of getting the correct key were slim because cadillac has had issues with cylinders going bad. If you need help with the airbag I will walk you through the process