Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

96 deville 'theft system trouble car may not restart'?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Default 96 deville 'theft system trouble car may not restart'?

[hr]

i got a 96 cadillac deville saying "theft system trouble ..." and i changed the ignition on it because it was stuck in the on position.this was complicated to an extent until i figured out how to measure the chip in the key and take a trip to radioshack to build resistance for the wires in the dash i followed all the guidelines and everybodys telling me to take it to the dealer but im a hands-on-from-the-oldschool cat. i figured when i replaced the ignition that my problems would go away; still "theft system trouble". i did my own troubleshooting by takin the resistor off the wires in the sleeve and it wouldnt even turn , but i put them back on and the starter went back to normal. i believe the vats system is killin power to the injectors and i need to know is there a way to bypass the whole security system ? ive done everything possible to hold on but im ready to set it on fire please help... [/align]

Old 11-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 deville 'theft system trouble car may not restart'?

bumped .. help needed

Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Tech Certified Members

VATS most likely is causing no start. No, I wont tell you how to steal a car. VATS took 3 of the most popular stolen cars: Vette,Camaro, and Firebird out of the top 20 when they were equipped VATS system.A non VATS GM cars can be stolen by a pro in less than 1 min. I suggest that you fix it right. But do what you want.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 PM

i mean i hate to set it a fire but its rediculous that i cant get it running & noone has been through this . i understand what u mean by not 'showing me how to steal the car' but it seems like the only way to get it going!i hope its just a ground wire...

Old 11-02-2007, 10:06 PM

if u have any ideas other than me taking it to the dealer , call me at 412-872-4369 when u get a chance

Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Many have gone through this but we all want the cars well secured. Keep in mind, we dont know who anyone is.

You got AAA ? Try a AAA locksmith. The AAA will cover some of the cost and even w/o AAA, it will be a whole lot less $$$ than a dealer visit if it is something they can handle.

Explain the problem to the locksmith and they will give you a cost over the phone if they can do it.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Certified Members

Most info your looking for is in my post to cadillacgirly in intro section. If you know how to disassemble and reassemble steering column.You may find broken white wire at back of lock cylinder. Lock cylinder is not dealer only part. BUT you will need a good key for dealers key reader, so you can get correct blank. You will also need key blank that came with new cylinder to have new key with pellet made.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM

People come here for help, not to be accused of being car thieves. This is a serious problem that people need help with. My car has been sitting for 3 months with this problem. Here's a good link to how to fix this defect for less than $20.

http://vats.likeabigdog.com/

Old 06-29-2011, 06:08 PM

hey man you have to understand that the general cadillac owner stereotype is pretty uptight ! YES YOU CAN BYPASS THE VATS SYSTEM FAIRLY EASILY LOOK IN THE NET FOR VATS BYPASS...HAVE A GOOD DAY AND DONT STEAL NOTHIN!