Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Repainting rear bumper guard -- 88 DeVille

Old 03-31-2007, 03:00 PM
Default Repainting rear bumper guard -- 88 DeVille

My 88 DeVille has some peeling on the bumper guard (rear bumper). This guard is grey on my car, but the peeling is revealing a yellowish underneath that looks like insulation/fiberglass. Could I tape off the bumper and repaint with grey primer? What would you suggest to improve the look here? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Repainting rear bumper guard -- 88 DeVille

Personally, I would go to a local body shop and for not a whole lot of money they could sand and feather it in, paint that is. If paint is oxidized a good old fashion painter can match it to where youcan't tell the difference. The paint out of a spray can will never look right imo. However it depends on the car as a whole I suppose.

Additionally, the primer will not have a gloss finish to it.

Old 04-01-2007, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

I have repaired this problem on a few cars, but they had black not grey. I think you can do it well enough to satisfy yourself. No doubt the professional job would be best as G.A.R.Y. suggests.

I know why you are thinking grey primer, its because the finish is a matte finish. I suggest that you prep the entire rear bumper strip and paint it all, not just the bad area. Mask off the area and use lots of newspaper to protect the other parts of the car, spary speckles fly everywhere. Lightly sand the area so you can feather the edges where it meets good paint. You might want to get a tube of glazing putty to level out the area. Once you paint it I would give it a day or so then I would spary Armour All on it and buff so that it will have a bit of a lustre but still be a matte finish.

I find that these type of jobs bring a lot of pleasure. I like doing them and you will save a good deal of money.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Katz, I was not aware of the matte finish, so give it a shot you have NOTHING to lose but a little time.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, those vintage Devilles had grey bumper rub strips not black like most cars. I think it can be done pretty well as I described. The big auto suppliers here have black bumper paint, maybe they have grey too, I just never looked for that.