Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

05 STS stalls in bumper-to-bumper traffic

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Default 05 STS stalls in bumper-to-bumper traffic

and then is very difficult to restart ( have to keep gunning it or it dies). sometimes takes up to 30 minutes of sitting prior to it starting. Runs great otherwise!

Only happens while sitting in traffic.

Background: Katrina car (flood salvage)

I suspect that the fuel tank still has some gunk in it or that the in tank fuel pump has a filter of sorts which is getting plugged up.

I do not see a fuel tank access panel so I am about to remove the tank this weekend, any advice?
Anyone with experience on this model? 2005 STS.... thanks in advance,

Carlos

Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Default RE: 05 STS stalls in bumper-to-bumper traffic

removed fuel tank, what a freaking ordeal! the engineer who designed it should be forced to do it a couple of times.

replaced fuel pump and the problem remains..... oh well, at least the issue of a dirty tank or bad fuel pump is over.... ideas?

Old 10-04-2007, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

What about your fuel filter though, should have changed that too.

I suggest you test the Idle Air Control although on a 2005 it would seem to be premature. Does seem like a fuel deliver issue from your description.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Certified Members

Has car been checked for codes,if so are they.Codes can be stored with out turning warning lights on.You state car was a flood car...rain or salt water?Hope for your sake rain,water can wickup wiring and cause corrosion within insulation over time, salt water is the kiss of death for electrical parts.You might check grounds for corrosion and clean as necessary,green copper wires - trim wires back to clean copper and repair so wire can be attached to correct location,as changes can cause problems diagnosing in the future when thing are where they are supposed to be.Also check crank sensors and connectors,Hope this helps and good luck!