Cadillac STS The newest installation of the performance sedan from Cadillac, having replaced the Seville

katz quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default katz quick question

mornin......i see your on.......cool...... while out of town this week i had Leslie(my Girl) start the sts....well, she started m,t,w,th, and drove it down the block and parked it.........not even a mi registered on the ody......... got a leak.......oil pan gasket........here is the question....is it ok to snug the gasket up till i can get it replaced? im headed out again this week...won't be able to get to it til the return......... i just dont want it to seep on drv way
thanks
rickyd

Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: katz quick question

ORIGINAL: rickyd

mornin......i see your on.......cool...... while out of town this week i had Leslie(my Girl) start the sts....well, she started m,t,w,th, and drove it down the block and parked it.........not even a mi registered on the ody......... got a leak.......oil pan gasket........here is the question....is it ok to snug the gasket up till i can get it replaced? im headed out again this week...won't be able to get to it til the return......... i just dont want it to seep on drv way
thanks
rickyd
you may well have "loose" bolts that you can re-tighten. it happens all the time.

we tend to either use "locktight" on threads or drill heads and apply safety wire, depending on applciation.
daily drivers usually dont need such precautions, but if one has time to kill on their hands, the safety wire method can be awesome over the years.

DO NOT over torque. you will only damage the gasket, or worse, if you do.

Aside all that .. WHY ?

the practice of starting the car every day is not only useless but actually promotes wear of engine and corrosion of exhaust. There is nothing wrong with letting a car sit for a week or a month. NOTHING.

All my cars sit, days or weeks at the time, until the day they are needed for a real drive. My '86 BEAST rag top, I make it a point to run her at least once in 90 days, never a problem sitting nicely tucked in, covered in the garage

If your car is going to sit idle, just let sit. IF outside, cover the car, cover the windows for the sun .. just let her sit.
IF it sits a lot , also cover the tires from the UV that cracks the rubber. THAT IS IT.

IF your battery cant hack it, replace it . cheap alternative to the problems and wear of cold starts and building up corrosive fluids in the exhaust or the crankcase that get really expensive.

The only thing i can say, is against corn fuel .. IF you use a grain mix of fuel, and your cars sit, i suggest you change the mix to 100% PETRO. GRAIN mixes of fuel tend to GEL in the lines and the tank within weeks..

Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Certified Members

hey boss...Stealth..... thanks for response..... ok going to snug,.........not over tight!!!.... we'll see whats up......your saying maybe, don't have to replace gasket?? that would be nice..we'll see........ brief me on the safety wire, or tell me of post,thread i can read, just for my own knowledge.
thanks
rickyd

Old 09-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Katz

Is it better to re-tighten when the engine is warm or cold? There is an expansion and contraction issue as you know.

Eddiek

Old 09-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Eddiek

Katz

Is it better to re-tighten when the engine is warm or cold? There is an expansion and contraction issue as you know.

Eddiek
COLD !

Old 09-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks Stealth. I always wondered about that.

Eddiek

Old 09-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

oppssss .. this was all for Katz ... sorry ...

Katz hopefully will jump in with his knowldedge, which is considerable ...

Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Certified Members

Eddiek, Stealth..... thanks for the tips...... i had already tightenedprior to Eddiek's question........the engine was warm.....Not hot.... if you think i should redo, please let me know...... im sure Katz won't mind you butting in Stealth...... :-).............were all cool...... i also know, as you mentioned about letting the car sit...... i ask her to do that, thinking she'd drive it a little..... she gets "up tight" driving my car......long story, no biggy..... thanks again
rickyd

Old 09-23-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Eddiek, Stealth..... thanks for the tips...... i had already tightenedprior to Eddiek's question........the engine was warm.....Not hot.... if you think i should redo, please let me know...... im sure Katz won't mind you butting in Stealth...... :-).............were all cool...... i also know, as you mentioned about letting the car sit...... i ask her to do that, thinking she'd drive it a little..... she gets "up tight" driving my car......long story, no biggy..... thanks again
rickyd
in the automotive industry, i have never seen torque specified other than in normal ambient temp, unless they are looking at special shrink fits of parts, and that usually involved components, not bolts.

as in anything, i'm sure there must be exceptions ...

hey boss...Stealth..... thanks for response..... ok going to snug,.........not over tight!!!.... we'll see whats up......your saying maybe, don't have to replace gasket?? that would be nice..we'll see........ brief me on the safety wire, or tell me of post,thread i can read, just for my own knowledge.
thanks
rickyd

Unless you got a 200+ mph car, a desert cruiser 4x4, or an airplane, there is probably no point to it.

Having done a lot of wrenching on aircraft, some habits cross over to cars. I still got safety-wire pliers, the rolls of wire, misc patch/seal kits, in military canvas tool bags .. with some unique tools, including some digital gear, lazer tools along with the standard hand tools. ohh, remember the CB Radios?

Old 09-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry fellas, been out at Parent Orientation day at U of T, nice event, good food, beautiful campus, impressive speakers includinng Dr. Allway, President of St.Michael's College at the University, an Order of Canada, recipient.

Oils pan gaskets....if you tighten you run the risk of making the leak worse because you will crush the gasket and it will bend making a leak somewhere else.I hate leaks as much as the next guy but be very careful not to worsen it. Should apply even torque to all, snug not killer tight, and do it when the car is not hot. Pretty much what advice has been posted. Lastly, I leave it up your judgement but there are additives that will stop that leak for about $10. They treat the gasket and help it expand .

Quick Reply: katz quick question