Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Reactivating the variable cylinder mode in an '81 Deville Sedan with the V8-6-4

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Question Reactivating the variable cylinder mode in an '81 Deville Sedan with the V8-6-4

Hello I have been researching the ins and outs of this system and I think it'd be nice to see this system in action. I heard the biggest reason this system didn't work was due to the electronics of the early '80s not being up to task with the engine systems itself. With the advent of nearly 30 years past and all the breakthroughs in electronics and processing, would it be very hard to make some alternate set of chips and modules with modern electronics to provide for this system to work? With my average MPG of my Deville hovering around 12 MPG this would a welcome improvement, plus I feel like I am not getting all the capability out of my car. Since it is installed I get the urge that I should utilize it.

1:Can this be done?
2: Is it worth the bother?
3: If its can be installed how reliable is it?

All answers/info are welcome

Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 AM
Tech Certified Members

IF the system is not working as it should be now, the the ECM has seen a problem and shut it down. The first thing to do is diagnose WHY. Pull the codes, and see what it is that is causing the ECM to shut the 4/6/8 system off. These were really good systems...when they worked. Most techs had no clue on them, however, so a lot of them never got repaired properly. 9 out of 10 of these cars have the solenoids unplugged on them...
I'm not aware of anyone that is doing the programs on these, but there may be some out there.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Default That's NOT what I meant!

I am not saying the V8-6-4 system was working then it conked out, I am saying my Deville had that system deactivated so it runs on all 8 cylinders, all the time, like it or not. From what I have researched most Cadillacs with the V8-6-4 had this treatment.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Default I want it ON, that's the problem

Originally Posted by Adams' Apple
9 out of 10 of these cars have the solenoids unplugged on them...
I'm not aware of anyone that is doing the programs on these, but there may be some out there.

My car runs on all 8 cylinders, same as the other 9 out of 10 cars, I am seeing how tough it is to reactivate that V8-6-4 system in the faint idea I may someday see >15MPG in my Deville. I know that some people can tinker with these, a common mod I have heard of is a in-car on/off switch for the system that allows you to have it going on all 8 or let the car pick however many cylinders are needed.