Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Just bought 2002 Deville

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Smile Just bought 2002 Deville

Last week, I bought my 3rd Cadillac Deville.

My first one - owned between 1992 and 1994 - was a 1977 Coupe Deville, which had one issue: a cracked intake, where the carburetor attaches to the engine. And a seat bracket that broke, so we replaced the seat with one from a 1978. Paint was OK, needed yearly buff&wax to keep it shiny. Still had a working Delco AM/FM/8-track radio!

My second was given to me (paid by my brother), a 1989 Sedan Deville that had plenty of issues. When I took possession of it, I had to replace the brakes (rear drums, brake cylinder, shoes, pads, and front rotors), rear struts, and radiator/hoses/thermostat. I also ran Lucas Fuel Treatment to clean out the injectors (raised MPGs from 20mpg - 22mpg highway). But, when a rock hit the windshield last year, and insurance paid to have it replaced, we saw extensive rust in/on the "A Pillars". It would cost over $6000 to restore it, when it was only worth $1000. So, for a year, I researched and researched to find a 2002-2005 Deville to replace it!

Last weekend, we put a large down payment on a gorgeous 2002 Deville with 79000 miles! But, once I bought it, it has/had a few issues. It would stall after starting, the dash always read "Check Coolant Level", and the code that came up is P0410 (Secondary Air Injection Pump). It also had a few "U Codes", but online said those are no big deal if the part actually works. Yesterday, we took it to the nearest Cadillac dealer, and the diagnosis was a "must fix":
  1. Engine Mount(s) broken
  2. Secondary AIR Injection Pump vacuum hoses damaged by the rocking of the engine (pump is fine)
  3. Clogged injectors causing the low idle/stalling.
With the "Check Coolant Level", as long as there's coolant in the radiator, it's fine. The float which "trips" the code can't be replaced without replacing the entire tank. In the end, I paid about $675 to repair the engine mounts and the vacuum lines. I would rather run Lucas Fuel Treatment (around $7 per tank) than pay a dealer $200 to clean the injectors.

The best way to put it: once you buy a Cadillac, you're a Cadillac for life! Or is it just me? My older brother (who bought me the 1989) just bought a CTS-V with Recaro seats. I prefer the Deville, while he prefers the sporty rear-wheel drive CTS. If I upgrade, it might be to a low-mileage similarly-equipped 2005 Deville. Those will be a collectors' item later on, since it is the last car to have a hood ornament, last to have onboard diagnostics (can read codes on the dash), and the last to have the DEVILLE name.

TS