Just bought a 89 Brougham and I love it!!! Tune up thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Default Just bought a 89 Brougham and I love it!!! Tune up thoughts...

Hello guys,
I got my new baby a few days ago to replace my 92 Nissan Maxima Se. I've been driving maximas for the last 7 years and despite their great performance, I realized that I wanted to get into something a little more special and luxurious(sp?). I came across this caddy at one of the dealer auction in my area. I was amazed at the condition of the whole package so I went ahead and purchased it($1100 total). The car had "actual miles" written all over it(22k) and from it's condition I believed it. It turned out tat wasn't true(the seler didn't know it either) but either way, I couldn't be happier with my choice. Here is a pic that I took recently:
Name:  cadillaccraigslist.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  69.9 KB
This coming weekend I am planning on doing a lot of things such as: new plugs,wires,cap,rotor,O2 sensor,knock sensor,oil+filter. To be honest I don't really know anything about this car and it's weak points. A fast search on the net didn't really help either, so my requests is this: if you know anything specific that I should keep my eyes open for please let me know. Also, are there any specific procedures that wil help me turn my car from excellent to perfect? Anything you can remember will be great. Thank you in advance for your advice! Also, big thanks goes to the creators and moderator of this site!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Just bought a 89 Brougham and I love it!!! Tune up thoughts...

Hey there B.G.::::: So you are now in the Cadillac brotherhood!! Some of the things that I did when I got my Brougham (1982) was to go over the complete car and check all the screws and bolts for tightness. You would not believe the number of bolts that were loose. And in doing the inspection I found many other things that needed attention. Things such as missing bolts, and screws, loose wires, dirty wire connections. cracked sheathing on wires, cracked hoses and belts, etc. Now I would go over the entire vehicle engine and body, that way you will have a sense as to what the overall state of the car is and therefore giving yourself peace of mind when you head out on a trip. This procedure took me about two months of weekends, so take your time and if you haven't already, get yourself a Chiltons manual, so you can understand the stuff that your seeing as you go. And above all ENJOY your ride... Chow,

Old 12-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Default RE: Just bought a 89 Brougham and I love it!!! Tune up thoughts...

Hey there, I used to own an 89 BRougham D'elegance...awsome vehicle.
had to be the most comfortable vehicle I have ever been in...
unfortunately I lost the Tranny in it and didn't have the time or place to repair it..
ended up selling and the guy who bought it wrecked it a month later......sad day that was