Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

gas guage and air shocks problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 PM
Default gas guage and air shocks problems

I have recently bought a 79 cadillac sedan deville, and am having two problems.

The firsst problem is that my gas guage will not work. I have chacked all the wires for the guage and still cannot find a problemm.. Can anyone tell me what is wrong???

The second is that my air shocks will not hold air and im not sure why...

If you can help me plaese do...

Old 03-23-2007, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: gas guage and air shocks problems

Trying to help out since no one has responded to your queries. I have experience with a 78 Buick Park Avenue which is pretty much the same car.

Have you tried taking the cluster out of the dash and checking the connections on the circuit board? GM cars of this vintage had a harness that pluged into the back of the cluster. Things like clocks andfuel gauges had posts that came up through the board and had threads on the posts. Small nuts threaded down and made contact with the copper washer like connection point on the boards. I have found that sometimes over time these loosen and contact is broken or the board gets a tear. Taking the cluster out is usually easy in this vintage car, because it is screws and bolts but you have to look closely to find them all. Start by looking under the the part that covers the bottom of the dash, usually metal and get those off first. After this you will expose more screws. Sometimes you have to drop the column to get the cluster out. Don't force anything, it all fits like a puzzle but will come off.

Air shocks had a fill point in the trunk near the latch as I recall. Is the valve clean and free here, try some WD-40 in it. Next trace the lines from here and check their condition and make sure they are securely attached to the shocks. Check the shocks, as I recall there is a rubber bladder in each one, could the bladder's be leaking?

If you think you need to replace shocks and fuel guage these items do come up for sale on e-Bay so that is a good place to start a parts search.