Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

drivers power window 98 deville

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Default drivers power window 98 deville

ok i have not had my 98deville very long an am having a few problems . my drivers window get about 1/4 of the way an starts click an stops . if i help it by pushing it down it goes down all the way. same thing going up about 3/4 of the way stars clicking. then i have to help it a little an she goes on up . but once it goes all the way up its like it doesnt know when too stop cause its like it wants to keep going then starts clicking again . now the window it stuck down about 1/4 way an wont move or even make any kinda of sound as if the motor is working.

what do u guys think the problem is ?
how do u get the doo panel off ?
is there any pages that are faqs that tell me how to take off the door panel ?
thanks for any info

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Default RE: drivers power window 98 deville

thats a shot motor man, yer gunna have to pullt the panel off and get to it, if its anything like my 95 deville u pull the two philips head screws outta the starp for closing the door, pull that panel away and pop the little plastic piece out of the handle area, unplug the light and switches and set that panel to tyhe side, make sure any other screws have been pulled and lift the door panel up and out, unplug yer seat controls, and curtesy light and tweater and pull the door panel away, behind the plastic sheet is yer window assempbly, i usually try to save the plastic sheet , its probably there for a reason :P

Old 02-20-2008, 11:22 AM

I agree with Lithorian, it sounds like the motor, or a binding problem with the mechanism "versus the switch or a relay". Did the clicking sound you were hearing come from behind the door panel? There is the small possibility it could be low voltage / low current being passed by a flakey switch or relay.

Removing your panel might be different than the 95. If your 98 is a D'elegance then you will have the added burden of dealing with the drivers side airbag. Do a search on the forums here, I just recently read a step by step proceedure for removing the door panel. When you get it off, I would try to power the motor with 12V directly before I ripped it out.

I have a 98 Deville as well and just a few weeks ago I had my drivers side window start acting flakey like that (no clicking sound) but I was lucky & it was only the switch. GM makes you buy the entire set of switches as a module, however I was able to bust it apart carefully & clean up the switch contacts. It is a very poorly sealed assembly & it is hard to believe the crap I found inside. Shame on GM, there is no excuse for this shoddy design, pwr windows have been around for more than half a century.

Be carefull when you pop the switch assembly out of the door armrest, pop front & tilt up & out. There is a clip holding it down in front and is attached to a very-very flimsy piece of structural plastic. I broke mine.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:18 PM

ya the plastic paper is pretty important. Without it you will probley be having corroded wires within weeks from all the condensation.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 AM

be careful poppin thatdoor panel they have to come up and off not out.