Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

Aftermarket Remote start 84' DeVille

Old 12-25-2007, 01:42 PM
Default Aftermarket Remote start 84' DeVille

I heard from a couple of people that remote starts are not that good for starters. Do you know if it would mess up the starter on my 1984 DeVille if I put a aftermarket remote start on it. I plan on getting a pager alarm with a mile radius but the only ones are remote starters. What do you guys think about it. Should I get the remote starter hooked up of not? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: Aftermarket Remote start 84' DeVille

I'm not big on cutting up factory wiring, however if your going to added it, adding the remote start should be ok. You do need to have someone who know what he's doing, and warranties his work. Also shift linkage and nuetral safety switch has to work correctly, or your baby could start and take off without you. If you have any shifter issues even if it's once in awhile DO NOT ADD remote start.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Well the shifter safety thing I know about is that you do not have to push on the brake to put it in gear. Not sure if that is normal or what because I have a brake lock for my car and even when it is on and you cant push on the brake as long as the ingnition is turned to A/C, I think it is, you can go through the gears. I dont think I am but just wanted to ask. Thanks for the advice slowroll!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Certified Members

Your car was built before brake shift interlock. It is more if shift linkage is worn and if you have to search for gears, including park. Setting Parking brake wont help due to auto park brake release.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM

As long as your car is in park when you turn it off it won't be a problem. i am putting one on my 98 deville right now. They dont hurt your starter if they are hooked up correctly.