Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

97 Deville A/C Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Default 97 Deville A/C Problem

Hope someone can advise, Diagnostic message" very low refrigerant--Compressor Off" I have charge many systems but I can't get the compressor to run to suck in the R134a refrigerant. I thought disconnecting the battery may clear the fault but it didn't. The problem arose on a long trip with the defrostor running on a very humid night to keep the windshield clear. it ran for 1/2 hour before the message came up so I assume its just low refrigerant. This is the first problem with the A/C in 5 years. Any help on charging the system? I have the hoses etc that are required.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 97 Deville A/C Problem

If the system is working properly, the compressor will not turn on until an adequate amount of freon is present. If the sensor or computer is faulty then it does not know how much freon is in the car. Unhooking the battery should reset the system until it is run low on freon again. A restriction in the system(plugged o-tube ect) can cause a low refrigerant code also. Hope this helps.