Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

'94 DeVille - Windshield Wiper Problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Default '94 DeVille - Windshield Wiper Problems - Help!

Hi all,

I have a '94 DeVille with about 80k Miles on it now. My wipers are seriously acting up, and I need help desperately. When I turn on the wipers, only the driver's side wiper works. Also, I can' turn off the wipers, or use the intermittent feature from the control stalk lever. The only way to get the wipers to stop is to turn off the car. What is wrong here? The wiper motor? A relay?

Thanks in Advance!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: '94 DeVille - Windshield Wiper Problems - Help!

my guess would be the wiper motor is bad. i had a grand am that did this where they wouldnt shut off, i replaced the switches and the relay and they still never shut off i never got a chance to change out the motor cuz that car blew up later on. and with the one wiper not working, it could be stripped where the wiper armconnects to the little spinddle. if you take off the wiper arm you can turn the wipers on and see if the little spindle rotates if it does check the wiper arm where the spindle inserts and see if the teeth are stripped.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Default RE: '94 DeVille - Windshield Wiper Problems - Help!

The motor on my DeVille went haywire at 61K. Wipers STOPPED in a blinding rain storm while I was in the speed lane of a 3-lane Interstate! How I got over to the shoulder and didn't run any 18-wheelers off the road is amazing. Anyway, I got a replacement motor, but I had to use the original PC board to get the motor to work properly.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:32 PM

On mine, a 2000 Cadillac Deville, it's been because water is getting into the wiper motor pulse board - I think through the electrical connector. Next time, try that. Take the bottom plate of the pulse board off (3 screws), open it up, and look for water droplets inside it. This water causes the board to short out, creating these exact symptoms you are describing. Dry it out with a hair dryer / blower, clean seal grooves, caulk it, put it back together - it should now work just fine. Also, make sure you caulk well all over the electrical connector where it goes into the board and on it's back side, too; I'm convinced this is where the water is coming into the pulse board, on mine. You'll know if you did it right if it does it again, after it rains - this will be your "stress test", which will determine how well you sealed up the cover and plug with calk / silicone. I've been through this four times on my Deville - what a headache it is. Do it right, completely, the first time - including, again, both sides of the electrical pin connector, seal that up good, too.