Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

87 Deville Has Fuel Pressure to the TBI But Injectors Won't Activate

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Default 87 Deville Has Fuel Pressure to the TBI But Injectors Won't Activate

Friends, my 1987 Deville has a new fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator. Fuel Pressure does reach the TBI But the injectors won't release any fuel. The engine will start and continue to run for a couple of seconds if a bit of gas is poured down the TBI throat.

Please give me a list of things to check and how to check them.
My mechanical experience is community college automotive courses back in the early eighties and a few dozen fixer uppers. My diagnostic capabilities sux but I have an excellent understanding of electro/mechanical principals, including electronics and digital logic.

Please help me Obiwan, you're my only hope.
PERTINENT INFORMATION I FORGOT TO ADD
I am actually starting this for my nephew, the car ran then didn't run after an alternator swap. there is a brown wire with a green end with the alternator wires that I cannot tell where it goes. Someone else took the alternator off. To me it's a basket case, I am finishing someone's job.

Last edited by xMikeDoex; 12-06-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clearity
Old 12-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Certified Members

Is the 12 volts to injector connectors, ECM grounds injectors to spray fuel. Codes ? FAQ has info about on-board diagnostics. don't worry with green connector. Ground wires need to be attached, fastener needs to paint/rust free. DFI is ground sensitive, unique to Cadillac so it can not be treated like a chevy. Ground wire issue would follow alt replacement no start. 4 wire distributor connector needs to be connected. Ignition system is typical GM HEI, reference signal sent to ecm to trigger injectors.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
Is the 12 volts to injector connectors, ECM grounds injectors to spray fuel. Codes ? FAQ has info about on-board diagnostics. don't worry with green connector. Ground wires need to be attached, fastener needs to paint/rust free. DFI is ground sensitive, unique to Cadillac so it can not be treated like a chevy. Ground wire issue would follow alt replacement no start. 4 wire distributor connector needs to be connected. Ignition system is typical GM HEI, reference signal sent to ecm to trigger injectors.
In your first question are you asking "is there 12 volts to injector connectors"? If so how do I test? About On Board Diagnostic, will it have viable information if the car sat without a battery for a year? Anyway I tried the "OFF" + "WARMER" buttons and it didn't not display any codes. As for the ground wires I took them off and I cleaned and sanded everything and tightened it quite well.
About the 4 wire distributor connector, I would say that they are connected if the engine start when gas is poured down the TBI throat but I am going to check it anyway.

SlowRoll, what's next? By the way, where is the ECM?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Certified Members

A voltmeter will indicate if you have voltage to injector connector. Injector fuse is under right side of dash. 4 wire connector is more about fuel injection than spark. purple wire in 4 wire connector carries reference signal to ecm to turn on injector. If you take a test light attach ground connector to positive battery terminal so it looks for ground. With key on touch probe to purple wire on engine harness side of 4 wire connector. when probe is removed you should hear injector(S) click or noid light if you have one will blink. No click or blink ecm would be suspect, click or blink would be ignition module. Ecm is under right side of dash you should see it when under dash or hush panel is removed. If the plan is to keep car you will need FSM, you need to know how to use the on-board diagnostics beyond getting and clearing codes. Oil pressure switch connector has a habit of melting and shorting out fuel pump fuel pressure 9-15 psi.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by slowroll
A voltmeter will indicate if you have voltage to injector connector. Injector fuse is under right side of dash. 4 wire connector is more about fuel injection than spark. purple wire in 4 wire connector carries reference signal to ecm to turn on injector. If you take a test light attach ground connector to positive battery terminal so it looks for ground. With key on touch probe to purple wire on engine harness side of 4 wire connector. when probe is removed you should hear injector(S) click or noid light if you have one will blink. No click or blink ecm would be suspect, click or blink would be ignition module. Ecm is under right side of dash you should see it when under dash or hush panel is removed. If the plan is to keep car you will need FSM, you need to know how to use the on-board diagnostics beyond getting and clearing codes. Oil pressure switch connector has a habit of melting and shorting out fuel pump fuel pressure 9-15 psi.
SlowRoll, Sorry for the long delay, life happened. I am not sure of some of what you're saying. I do get 12 volts at the red wire on one injector and the white wire on the other when the key is in the run position. Fuses are good. Fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator are new,fuel pressure is reaching the injectors.

About the four wire connector on the distributor, are you saying to disconnect or back probe it while it's connected?

OnBoard diagnostics does not display any codes, could that be because there wasn't a battery in it for a year? On my Sierra disconnecting the battery clears the codes.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Certified Members

yes disconnect 4 wire test body side. with injectors plugged in.