Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

'76 Power Window Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Default '76 Power Window Question

I forgot to post this with my A.C question before! Now that summer is coming and I am getting the old girl out of my garage for some daylight, I am having a little trouble with my driver-side power window. It is VERY difficult to get the window to go up or down..whereas the passenger side...FLIES and is baby-smooth. I am suspecting the switch is bad because in order to operate the window, quite a bit of force is necessary on that switch to get it to move....when it does, it is slow to go up and down.....

I do not want to pull the door apart if it is not necessary....should I try to replace the switch first or are those tell-tales signs of the window motor that needs to be replaced?

Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: '76 Power Window Question

I have a 1973 Pontiac that sees only summer use so I am always tinkering with it. I suggest that you try and switch the switches from one of the other windows that works well. This will soon let you know if it is the switch. I think it is worth a try. My FIL had a 78 Park Avenue that did the same thing you mention. I never took the panel off. It is not that hard to do on this vintage car however. Since drivers window gets constant use perhaps all that is needed is some lubrication on the mechanism. The windows also have some adjustment on them with guides, could be binding a bit as it moves up into the window frame. Just a couple of ideas. Let us know.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Actually, the window moves up and down with not much of a problem..just slower than the pass. side. The real trick is pushing that dang window button hard enough to get it to go in either direction. My fear is once it is down on a nice warm day...she is gonna be down for good!!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Try switching the switches to see if switch operation improves.