Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

2001 Deville Deception

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Unhappy 2001 Deville Deception

Brought my 2001 Cadillac Deville through emissions...it failed - the computer codes read PO741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off, P1860 Manufacturer Controlled Transmission...the car runs fine...but the emissions guy said it can't pass because the "Ck engine" light doesn't come on ...even though all the other lights do at ignition....

Someone deactivated the "Check Engine" Light to avoid disclosing the transmission problem....which turns out to be a 6th gear malfunction...meaning I could drive the car forever with 5 gears, but to get the indicator light to go off properly, the transmission should be fixed...which would cost more than the car.

...any suggestions?

Thanks

onevoice1255

Last edited by onevoice1255; 03-14-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: New Information
Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by onevoice1255
Brought my 2001 Cadillac Deville through emissions...it failed - the computer codes read PO741: Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off, P1860 Manufacturer Controlled Transmission...the car runs fine...but the emissions guy said it can't pass because the "Ck engine" light doesn't come on ...even though all the other lights do at ignition....

Someone deactivated the "Check Engine" Light to avoid disclosing the transmission problem....which turns out to be a 6th gear malfunction...meaning I could drive the car forever with 5 gears, but to get the indicator light to go off properly, the transmission should be fixed...which would cost more than the car.

...any suggestions?

Thanks

onevoice1255
not enough info.
how long have you had it, who did you buy it from?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:42 AM

I bought from a young man 50 days ago, who used his boss's dealer license to go to auctions, where he purchased it about 3 weeks prior and was using a dealer plate until he sold it to me. When you buy a car and if it fails you have 60 days to have it retested...the "Carfax-Plus" indicated no problems either, but I'm sure the dealers who took it on trade knew something so they auctioned in out of Springfield to the young guy who works at Maaco in Hamden. All the indicator lights come on when you turn the ignition, but most of the reset, info, etc. buttons don't work. What other info. do you need?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Tech Certified Members

what springfield auction are you talking about??? the springfield auction right at the Ohio, Pennsylvania line??? that is a buyer beware, most cars DO HAVE problem auction.
rickyd

Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Tech Certified Members

If someone disabled ses light it may not be easy to find cause, you can hope it was done at cluster, but no guarrantee. P0741 is not a cheap fix. If you can get ses light working you could clear codes with on board in the driveway of inspection station and pass. ignoring the P0741 can lead bigger problems if ignored. Most new car dealers would wholesale 01s, some do what anything over 5 yrs old unless low mile, super clean, and/or alot of "eye appeal" which can bring "traffic" on the lot(muscle cars) You will need service info, being you work at MAACO see if they subscribe to ALLDATA if so you maybe access what you need at work. If not, I suggest to subscribe yourself.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM

having the same issue did u ever get the problem resolved ?