Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1990 cadillac deville; misfires due to non-functioning injector

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 PM

well I went out to my car and took a few pics and then was like DUH let me upload a vacuum diagram.

here you go: http://i49.tinypic.com/veucmv.gif

Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 PM

just realized the diagram doesn't show you where the #7 vacuum line goes. I will see if I can trace it on my car in the morning.

But im pretty sure the line in your 2nd pic goes to the #6 vacuum reservoir cuz in your pic it only looks like there is one line hooked up to it when there should be two like this: http://i45.tinypic.com/2qjzxpl.jpg

Last edited by Texan4Life; 01-13-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM

So I found the spot that you are talking about, and hooked that hose up. I would like to know where the connector on the middle of the hose that you showed me where to hook up goes. Coming off that same canister is another hose, and I am wondering where that goes.

The diagram rocks. It helped me figure out where 2 of the other hoses went, which now leads me to the hoses coming off of the Cruise Control Servo, #4 on that diagram of vacuum hoses that you posted.

Last edited by detra319; 01-14-2010 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Adding a bit more info
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 AM

so which hoses do you still need to hook up? or did you get them all?

Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM

On that same hose that you posted a picture of, with the red circle, that plugged into the firewall, there is another connection, on that same hose. Thats the connection with a white circle that I was speaking of above. Coming from the same cruise control servo canister (the thing with the metal tab that looks kinda like swiss cheese) there is also a separate hose that comes off of that. If you could tell me where those 2 connectors go, that would help immensely.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Ok I think i finally figured out what your talking about and found the same lines on my car. It was raining so I didnt get to good of pics tomorrow it is suppost to clear up and maybe I can take off the air box again and get some good high rez pics with daylight

Either this well help or really confuse you..

Ok I took your pic and numbered the T's in the small vacuum line from the cruise servo:

and the #1 T is suppost to go under the diverter valve (big plastic thing with big hoses and 2 or 3 wiring connectors coming out of it) and lay on the valve cover. Thats what was confusing me cuz urs is sticking straight up.

I then used the same numbers on my T's:

The big line from the cruise servo connects to another hose here:

Old 01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Default Closer...!

So I have all the hoses hooked up except the last hose that comes off the cruise control servo. On the back side of the servo there are the two hoses that you just talked about in the last post, but there is a third hose that also comes off the servo. It is short (2 feet or so) and is plastic, and has 2 bends in it. I can't figure out where that hose connects to.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM

didn't know there was a 3rd hose from the cruise servo.. went and took a look and found two hoses that run under the servo. the two hoses then connect to two small plastic lines that have two bends it it then hook back in two hoses that go toward the charcoal canister.

Here are the two lines under the servo:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2agq8n7.jpg

I colored them so it would be easier to follow in the pics and sort out where each one ends up.

They run along the washer fluid tank toward the charcoal canister:

http://i49.tinypic.com/206fs4g.jpg

and then the red one hooks up to #12 TPCV and the blue one hooks to the top of the charcoal canister, #13:

http://i50.tinypic.com/160za1k.jpg

-------------------------------

How many miles are on your caddy? just curious how long these cars go.

Last edited by Texan4Life; 01-18-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:09 PM

We have been having ice storms around these parts, so haven't had much chance to work on it. I decided screw it...I can figure out where all but 1 hose goes, I'm gonna start it. The second I started it, I had a revelation...

my brother had put WATER and not antifreeze in the car, and if you see what I posted just a second ago about ice storms, that means there was ice in the block. Immediately after I turned the key I said oh ****, there goes the water pump. There is a strange howling sound coming from the belt area, probably the blown water pump, that is not working. The car obviously isn't passing fluid properly, and occasionally when I checked the radiator, I could see ice chunks floating at the top. I only ran the car for approx 7-8 mins then turned it off, basically to check for smoke and all the other fun stuff. I have resigned myself to changing the water pump, as it is probably now dead.

Any advice for how to check that besides to check for play in the pulley (which there is none, even with the belt out of the way). The pulley spins fine, and I can't hear any grinding noises when I turn it by hand.

My other issue is that apparently in all these hoses and wires that I was hooking up, I missed something that controls the speedometer, as it is not working when I drive it. I will take some pictures tonight to show you the hose that I am talking about, apparently I can't describe stuff very well using just words. But...if anyone knows how to hook up the speedometer, I can't find any old threads that show me how, so I would love some advice on that.

This one has 179k. I drove another one into the ground that had 250k, until it finally blew the transmission and I said forget about it. Of those 250k, I put on 90k of them, mostly highway. Never changed anything except brakes, serpentine belt and water pump.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 PM

50/50 mix always!! lol

Any advice for how to check that besides to check for play in the pulley (which there is none, even with the belt out of the way). The pulley spins fine, and I can't hear any grinding noises when I turn it by hand.
as far as outside inspection goes thats about all you can do. The seals and bearings are probably fine. The danger with having ice chunks in the system would be damage to the pump impellers.

I have heard that water pump impellers are fairly brittle (dunno how true that is anymore) so possibly one could have broke off/chipped.

That or the pump is fine and you were makin' margaritas!! just add tequila to the radiator and put some salt around the opening of the coolant catch bottle. LOL

Quick Reply: 1990 cadillac deville; misfires due to non-functioning injector