Cadillac Deville The flagship luxury car, offering the class with which the Cadillac has been associated, for decades

1990 cadillac deville; misfires due to non-functioning injector

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Certified Members

Dealer should be able to pull up picture so you can point out what you need. Your question is some what confusing, are looking for a bolt that holds head to block or exhaust manifold to head?

Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM

Its a 4.5 v8, 90 cadillac deville. First off, I pulled the head, so I think I should replace 10 bolts. 5 inside the head itself, and 5 that are on the outside that go through the exhaust manifold and the head, iirc. Then on the exhaust manifold, there are bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the head itself. I broke two of the bolts that hold the exhaust manifold to the head, and 2 of the bolts that go through the exhaust manifold AND the head were already broken, which was what was causing the head gasket to leak in the first place.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Default Need a bit more help...

So I got the head bolts I needed by ordering them from the dealer. The outside (exhaust manifold side) of the head had straight bolts, the interior of the head used studs. I could not find the studs ANYWHERE, and I'm talking 15+ hours of looking. I talked to friends, family, dealers, repair shops, friends that are mechanics, yadda yadda. So, I just reused those.

Now I'm on to a different problem. I need to figure out where the different emission hoses on this car go. My father was the one who took everything apart, and since he happens to have a great memory, didn't think that he needed to label things "since they only plug into one place, cmon!". Well, now he is in Arizona for 4 more months, and I was trying to get this car running to give to my brother as a present.

I'm really coming here to see if I can get some pics of where things are supposed to plug in. I have figured out where all the electrical connectors are supposed to go, and I have a general idea of where most of the hoses are supposed to plug in. I don't know the name of the components that I am trying to reconnect, the picture
shows the components I am trying to reconnect, but its not quite clear enough. Its the component to the left of the red circle that is circular and has the metal tab pointing towards the drivers side with all the holes in it. That has one hose that clearly goes to the throttle body, but there is another hose coming off of it that has 2 ends to it that I do not know where they connect.

Above the red circle there are two sensor arrays, one of which has the larger hoses that connect to the air plenum. The other array is also above the circle, but slightly to the right of the other array I described.

I know the information I am giving you is very vague, but I really really need help. I have spent almost $800 to get the car to this point, and that doesn't count the amazing amount of labor that I put into it. I am more than willing to take my own pics and post them, or provide any more information that anyone needs. Please help this shadetree mechanic, working in 0 degree weather is no fun :/

Attached Thumbnails 1990 cadillac deville; misfires due to non-functioning injector-112.jpg   1990 cadillac deville; misfires due to non-functioning injector-113.jpg  

Last edited by Stealth; 01-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:35 AM

would me taking a few pic of my 90 deville help out with where things go?

oh and the round thing in the red circle is 1 of 2 of the exhaust check valves. I would recommend replacing them cuz when they fail the let exhaust into the plastic emissions manifold thingy (sorry forgot what it is called, like a diverter valve or something). the check valves are like 10 bucks each I think, but a new diverter valve is $550. And no, junk yards don't have the valve cuz new ones are 550. Don't ask how I know.

when the diverter valve thingy fails the car runs ratty with bad gas mileage and will fail or barely pass an emissions test.

I to0 have put a sh*t ton of work into my car. I love it when it I drive it and hate it when it is on jack stands. which is seriously about half the time. It's a love hate relationship.

Last edited by Texan4Life; 01-11-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:20 AM

If you could post some pics of your car, that would help tremendously. I really just need a decent pic with the plenum out of the way, that would help a crap ton. The firewall side of the engine is what I am in need of. If you could do that, I would love you forever

Old 01-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Old 01-11-2010, 10:15 PM

That is EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks a ton mr!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM

no problem if you need anymore I will see what I can do. Hopefully I never need to screw around with the heads or fuel injectors like you have had to do.

These are known for blowing head gaskets if you don't use bars leak in the antifreeze (factory recommended). If you are unsure about the antifreeze I would drain, refill and put in a tube of bars leak. When I first read about that on the forum (and saw the decal on my car calling for GM sealant) I was like WTF what car leaks from the factory? lol. something to do with the aluminum heads and block.

I do all my own work and buried are some posts with tons of pics I did about the AC, fuel pump, and the wiring to the high level stop light.

Oh and I am way to young for a Mr... (21)

Last edited by Texan4Life; 01-12-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Tech Certified Members

Originally Posted by Texan4Life
no problem if you need anymore I will see what I can do. Hopefully I never need to screw around with the heads or fuel injectors like you have had to do.

These are known for blowing head gaskets if you don't use bars leak in the antifreeze (factory recommended). If you are unsure about the antifreeze I would drain, refill and put in a tube of bars leak. When I first read about that on the forum (and saw the decal on my car calling for GM sealant) I was like WTF what car leaks from the factory? lol. something to do with the aluminum heads and block.

I do all my own work and buried are some posts with tons of pics I did about the AC, fuel pump, and the wiring to the high level stop light.

Oh and I am way to young for a Mr... (21)

slight correction " ... .... and change out the coolant every two years"

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Default little more!

So...I can't tell what these things connect to.

The first picture, named pic1, has 2 vacuum hoses that come off of it. One hose has only one end to it, the hose has 2 ends to it, one that has a white circle right before the connector. If you could tell me what those connect to, that would rock.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...rrent=pic1.jpg

This next pic is the end of 2 connection hose from that same thing I was talking about above. On the left side of this picture, on the same hose, is the white circle I was talking about above.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...rrent=pic3.jpg

Please god help me, I am so close to being done!

Quick Reply: 1990 cadillac deville; misfires due to non-functioning injector