Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

low impact damage to transmission and engine mounts?!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Default low impact damage to transmission and engine mounts?!

I recently had a low impact front end accident. Stopped at redlight about 5 feet or so behind a Ford Expedition with trailer hitch. I either just released my foot from brake or may have started to accelerate but hit the hitch. The damage looked pretty minimal at first glance; the grill would obviously have to be replaced, and the energy absorbing bumber material just behind it had very localized damage (the hitch!). Imagine my surprise when 1) the car wouldn't go into drive, 2) later found out the transmission mount at the rear was bent, 3) even later found out 2 engine mounts were broken. This seems really odd to me and I can't imagine this kind of impact could cause such damage.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Certified Members

It does sound strange, however I would argue it was accident related vs. wear and tear.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pmc295
I recently had a low impact front end accident. Stopped at redlight about 5 feet or so behind a Ford Expedition with trailer hitch. I either just released my foot from brake or may have started to accelerate but hit the hitch. The damage looked pretty minimal at first glance; the grill would obviously have to be replaced, and the energy absorbing bumber material just behind it had very localized damage (the hitch!). Imagine my surprise when

1) the car wouldn't go into drive,
2) later found out the transmission mount at the rear was bent,
3) even later found out 2 engine mounts were broken.

This seems really odd to me and I can't imagine this kind of impact could cause such damage.
It is possible that the mounts were broken prior to the accident and would allow some shifting under impact.

Many cars are out there with dis-functional mounts and owners dont even know it .. something one may get away with if the car is drive easy.

how old is the car?
did you get it new?
do you know its history?