Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

I have a most unusual question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 03:47 AM
Default I have a most unusual question

First, some background...maybe you'll understand why I'm asking.

I used to be in the Air Force and was stationed in Germany. While there, I owned a '94 Audi S4 4.2 (a model only available in Europe, but it was basically the Audi V8 Quattro from the States with a 6-speed manual transmssion). When I moved back to the States, I wanted something with power, a manual transmission, and rear or all-wheel drive. I would have prefered a sedan, but I settled for an '89 Pontiac Firebird. I have since swapped out the stock 5.0L/5-speed setup with a 350/6-speed setup. Well, I recently realized the car had been in a major accident and the frame was never correctly bent back into shape (some subframe connectors were welded in to help fix it). The car rides really rough, especially when compared to the Audi, and I'm getting sick of it.

I have been trying to find something from the mid-to-late '80s that was rear-wheel drive and 4-doors to put the motor and transmission into, but I have been unable to find anything. I was looking into the G-body, but all I can find are 2-doors, and I really want a 4-door. So, here's my question. Is it even possible to swap out the V6 and automatic in the 2003/4 CTS with a TPI 350 and Tremec T56 transmssion (the same transmission used in the V-series CTS)? I am aware it's not a swap-and-play deal; there will be lots of custom work to get the motor into the bay, etc. But, since I will be using an older motor/computer, how will that affect the rest of the car? Does the CTS computer run everything else in the car?

And no, I am not considering buying a LS6/LS2 motor either; I have almost 10 grand in the motor and transmission (including labor, which I will of course lose, but still, the parts cost me almost 6 grand) so I'd like to use them again. I loved the ride in my Audi, and want something with a nice ride, but that won't float when I push it hard, to include drag racing and the twisties (my personal favorite). And I do understand there will be other work necessary (suspension, possible rear-end, etc.); I'm just asking about pure feasibility.

Well, I guess you really didn't need my life's story; I could have just asked if it was possible to swap a TPI motor into the CTS, but where's the fun in that? How are we to get to know people if there's no life stories being told? (I hope most of you catch the half-sarcasm in that)

JR