Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Gas in Oil & Otherwise Code-Less Badness...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Default Gas in Oil & Otherwise Code-Less Badness...

Hello!

I've found myself in a bad spot, hopefully a recoverable one. This is my 3rd CTS. Had a 1st gen 2003 Sport - left me because divorce. Then, an 08 with 70K mi that blew it's chain and driveshaft after a little over a year - magically was able to trade it in for 7K to get what I have now: 2011 AWD CTS4(MX7) Coupe DOHC DI VVT 3.6L LLT HFV6 VIN D. (Most of that is probably implied to some, but not others thus the spew on model.) Got it at about 65k.

Discovered gas in my oil after doing my own oil change for once, after I found the oil filler tube freely spinning (newly so)...
  • Currently sits at 156K mi
  • No codes other than circuit related mentioned below. (Even then, it's just seats, really)
  • Mode $6 is great, however seems to maintain an ewma of 1 for cylinder 1. (I do recognize timing/etc follows cylinder 1, still, hoping that sensor/stitch is throwing the entire system of o2/ipw/trims/intake/timing out of whack...
  • Discovered at some point, perhaps before I bought it, the rear and front wheels were swapped...
  • Restored the correct staggered configuration and installed the stock tires. (With the ridiculously expensive rears!)
  • Found wet staining around my fuel rails, appears to be coming from the fuel rail pressure sensor/switch.
  • Found oil in the bottom of the spark plug wells.
  • Plugs were fouled and wet with oil.
  • Removed and replaced with new stock plugs, they've stayed clean.
  • Traces of oil on ignition coils - replaced.
  • Found very small deterioration in a gasket/seal on a camshaft solenoid on bank 2, causing oil weep on front cover.
  • Removed camshaft/valve covers to replace the gaskets - read a post advising to do so if oil found in wells...
  • Have been getting codes indicating short to voltage on a few components that share a common ground, G200 - one could trace this ground to the injectors, if they wanted, iirc.
  • Currently in the process of re-installing the valve covers, and rehabilitating/cleaning all the grounds I can get at, along with points along the B+ bus.
  • I believe, and am praying, that the gas in fuel is being caused by the fuel rail pressure sensor being faulty, causing the entire system to errantly send too much fuel through the injectors.
  • Thorough examination with a borescope, flashlights and mirrors, it appears as though fuel is spraying out of the rail pressure sensor, with fuel traveling down the backside of it's wiring sheath.
  • Unrelated, but my power steering pump has been whining for some time, has covered itself with fluid.
  • Flushed the ps fluid last year to no avail.
  • Replaced alternator and battery last year due to load test failures. (in hindsight after digging deeper, may have been because of the issues with the B+ bus and deteriorated grounds.)
  • Found through do***entation that I'm missing both the fuel sight shield cover and the ball stud which secures it. (sight shield itself and the foam are still intact.)
  • Have been using an OBDMX+, but just got a VXDIAG Tech2 / GDS2 clone replete with software/VM and am prepared to purchase a limited time sub for SES and/or whatever might help my ailing CTS...

Visual aids!
Bank 1 Cams - Cylinders 1, 3, 5

Bank 2 Cams - Cylinders 2, 4, 6:

Fuel Rail Front Section:

Wells, Exhaust, Cam Pos, Torque/OBDLink Stuffs

Yeah, it's pretty rough. I'm very worried about Bank 1... Please tell me it's just the fuel rail pressure sensor/switch!!! (Or something equally as simple...) I have a couple injectors handy and an install kit for three if I absolutely have to pull that rail.

Last edited by essex; 06-13-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:38 AM

If it's leaking , it's bad. You have to do this first period.