General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Flooded?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Default STS Flooded?

With the sub-zero temps we are getting in Mn this morning was the first time our STS would not start.
My concern is flooding it. I have not cranked it much at all as I don't want the injectors to be kicking in and eventually flooding the engine. Is there a was to nullify the injectors? Stop the fuel pump from running? Something, so I can crank the engine to burn off any gas that might have built up already so I can get a somewhat fresh fire when trying to start it?

Also, is it difficult to change the oxygen sensor on this car?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: STS Flooded?

ORIGINAL: Bryan22

With the sub-zero temps we are getting in Mn this morning was the first time our STS would not start.
My concern is flooding it. I have not cranked it much at all as I don't want the injectors to be kicking in and eventually flooding the engine. Is there a was to nullify the injectors? Stop the fuel pump from running? Something, so I can crank the engine to burn off any gas that might have built up already so I can get a somewhat fresh fire when trying to start it?

Also, is it difficult to change the oxygen sensor on this car?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thank you.
the engine should start regardless of temp unless something is wrong.
try a can of "ether" starting fuel ..
whatever fuel is in the cylinders will evaporate in just minutes, even in sub-zero temp.

now .. why do you want to change the oxygen sensor?

Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM

In this kind of cold (-30 to -40) Sometimes these mechanical machines just do not start. The car is outside and quite stiff. She is firing a bit but not enough to get running. Is the starting fluid safe to use on this engine?

I had an experience with our suburban on the flooding issue... we end up with 2 gal of gas in the oil pan.

The oxy sensor needs to be replaced. A scan a while back kicked that info is out and because of that the check engine light is on and mileage is quite poor.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM
Tech Certified Members

In this kind of cold (-30 to -40) Sometimes these mechanical machines just do not start. The car is outside and quite stiff. She is firing a bit but not enough to get running. Is the starting fluid safe to use on this engine?

I had an experience with our suburban on the flooding issue... we end up with 2 gal of gas in the oil pan.

The oxy sensor needs to be replaced. A scan a while back kicked that info is out and because of that the check engine light is on and mileage is quite poor.

raw fuel in the crankcase is a common occurrence in cold weather when the engines are started and not ran long enough to evaporate the fuel mixed with the oil. it is common to see the oil levels RISE in such conditions. A GREAT reason to change the oil and to learn to not start the engines for no reason.
TWO GALLONS? I probably would change the oil if the level rose even ONE quart.

in very cold weather, the common practice of "moving" cars in the morning is absolutely detrimental to both the engine and the exhaust system - it will also kill your avg fuel economy.
better to do the proper re-positioning of cars in the evening when the engines are still warm.

I spend several years in the snow belt, where blizzards and sub-zero temps happen. A can of ETHER saved the day more than once.

oxygen sensors are very easy to change (unless the threads have seized) but you must follow the proper instructions and use the lubricant provided with the sensor .. they can be unforgiving.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 AM

I have earned my stipes as it concerns the use of starting fluid (I grew up farming and you can't get by in the winter without the stuff) It is just on some of these newer engines I am very careful about what I do to them.

The 2 gal gas issue... we replace the fuel pump on the sub, it flooded quickly, we just didn't know how much. The engine was not run with that in there. We are still trying to dry it out and get that beast started (1997 Sub, 5.7L) way too many fuel pumps into that machine.

The STS ran fine last night when parked. But this morning, after sitting in -35 temps she was stiff and wanted to start but couldn't piull it off. In the morning I am going to get some heat blowing on the engine from underneath for a couple hours. That should help alot.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Tech Certified Members

The Sub is likely L31 vin R check fuel pressure should be over 50 psi. You could have weak or leaking fuel pressure regulator or injector poppets leaking. This could also apply to 99-00 Escalade with similar concern.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:47 PM

I did get the STS started today. I had a kerosene torpedo heater blowing in under the engine today, after a 1/2 hour she started. I was getting worried she would get flooded heavily as I could really smell gas. With tonight getting even colder than the past couple nights maybe -40 (without figuring in wind-chill factor) I am going out to start the car every couple hours during the night to make sure she starts in the morning.

The "sub issue"... she is flooded badly right now. I am pulling all plugs tomorrow and get her to dry out. The pump pressure is up and good now with the new pump (14th one) but the "flooded factor" is what I need to deal with now.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Certified Members

I did get the STS started today. I had a kerosene torpedo heater blowing in under the engine today, after a 1/2 hour she started. I was getting worried she would get flooded heavily as I could really smell gas. With tonight getting even colder than the past couple nights maybe -40 (without figuring in wind-chill factor) I am going out to start the car every couple hours during the night to make sure she starts in the morning.

The "sub issue"... she is flooded badly right now. I am pulling all plugs tomorrow and get her to dry out. The pump pressure is up and good now with the new pump (14th one) but the "flooded factor" is what I need to deal with now.
my neighbor in Albany would put a 100 Wat mechanic's lamp in the engine compartment and then trow a blanket over the hood .. he seemed to think that kept the engine warm enough. We did get quite a few sub-zero nights there. I have also seen a small ceramic space heater inside the engine compartment set on low to run all night.
however, if you got any fuel leaks, i would not do any of that.

I also do know that there are "engine heaters" that you can plug into the house AC outlet and keep things from freezing.

my cars never needed any help . they always started .. always except once when it got so cold that the horn relay activated the horn, discharging the battery which then proceeded to freeze. I had heard the horn going but I thought it was another car, I ignored it .. besides, who wants to step out of a warm bed to go outside when it is -15F ? no way Jose!

btw, you are going to drain the crankcase on the Suburban .. right?
listen to slowroll .. you could have leaky fuel injectors or a bad regulator.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 PM

The temps we have been dealing with bottomed out last night ata bit over-30 in my immediate area, not factoring in the windchill!

Can anyone recommend a engine heater that is easy to intall on an STS?

The injectors and pressure reg on the sub are good. No pressure leakage, just bad pump design and they don't last.