Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Erractic rpm

Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 AM
Default Erractic rpm

I have a 2004 CTS 6 cylinder. The service engine light came on again. The car does not accelerate and rpm is erractic at idle. It was taken to the Cadillac garage and they replaced some module and gas filter, but after taking this car out of winter storage, it happened again, but with a message light saying low voltage. I had a trickle charger on it all through storage, so I don't think it could be the battery. Any ideas?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Default RE: Erractic rpm

Took it back to the Cadillac garage. Error said low voltage, so they replaced the battery. Started the car and got a traction control error light. Then car started the up and down idle and no power again. Cadillac garage said there is nothing more they can do. I called "On Star" they said they found 4 codes and called for tow to another Cadillac garage in another nearby city. I bought the car at an independent dealer so the Cadillac dealer is not responsible and there is no GM warranty.
I may just have to get rid of the car. No one can fix it.
Still looking for some good replies from this site.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 AM

Since you've got nothing to lose...

It sounds like odd stuff with the electrical - but specifically the control modules. Disconnect the + and - power cables at the battery. To fully discharge the system, touch the cable lugs to each other. Reconnect the battery cables to the battery correctly.

From what the Service Manager told me, there are just some instances that the car's systems need a "reboot" and the only way to do that is to get all the electricity out of the system and get everything to a factory default... I had strange stuff happening on my 2003 (I bought new), watched the Service Manager do this process once. I ended up doing it 2 more times before giving the car to my son... and I alerted him to this "work around". The issues this resolved were related to Navigation System radio (GPS and RDS) odd behavior and window switch behavior, but the Service Manager indicated it was one of their first steps at resolving any odd electrical system/control module issues.

If it works, great... if not... well, it was worth a shot... Let us know.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: boya84

Since you've got nothing to lose...

It sounds like odd stuff with the electrical - but specifically the control modules. Disconnect the + and - power cables at the battery. To fully discharge the system, touch the cable lugs to each other. Reconnect the battery cables to the battery correctly.

From what the Service Manager told me, there are just some instances that the car's systems need a "reboot" and the only way to do that is to get all the electricity out of the system and get everything to a factory default... I had strange stuff happening on my 2003 (I bought new), watched the Service Manager do this process once. I ended up doing it 2 more times before giving the car to my son... and I alerted him to this "work around". The issues this resolved were related to Navigation System radio (GPS and RDS) odd behavior and window switch behavior, but the Service Manager indicated it was one of their first steps at resolving any odd electrical system/control module issues.

If it works, great... if not... well, it was worth a shot... Let us know.
Sounds like a computer errata OR a alternator issue.
You got 4 codes? why did you not post them? The answer is in there.

Lacking any info, battery disconnect is exactly what my suggestion would be.

To clarify, after disconnecting the battery, before you do anything, let it sit for 15 minutes to let the computers fully discharge.

Anytime "On Star" tells you there are codes, GET THEM .. write them down, post them.
Seriously, call "ON Star" and get us the codes !

Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Just got the codes:

PO121
PO221
PO507
PO638
P2176