Cadillac CTS The mid-sized sedan that has grown the popularity of the Cadillac brand with it's low price and sleek styling

Check Eng Light+Tones! 2013 CTS 3.6L Prem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 03:43 AM
Unhappy Check Eng Light+Tones! 2013 CTS 3.6L Prem.

Hey, I started this post under "Gen Tech" and no one responded. So, I'm seeing if anyone has had this CEL issue.
Was leaving on a day trip from home Elk Grove area Ca. to Yerington, Nv. Had a new plugs and coil packs installed 2 and half weeks prior. OEM basic reg parts. Car was getting great gas mileage and a bit of scratch in sport drive, was running perfect, better than before. Has 27,000 on it. (I change my plugs and coils every 30,000 usually on all my rides)
Stopped for premium gasoline at a local Chevron, $35 worth. I get 5 miles up the road and the engine starts to stutter like it's going to cut out, and the cylinders are knocking. Not one, but most of them are knocking. Then the bells and tones go off and the CEL comes on flashing. I turn around for home and since it's mostly downhill and I don't ask the engine for much I get there. (I stopped and opened and closed the tank lid just for the hell of it too..in case there was some vapor lock or ?)
Took it to Chevrolet (Bec Cadillac cost more and it's a Chevrolet anyhow) they said it was the #1 coil pack was bad....I knew that couldn't be it, but just in case, I told them to replace it. For $342....Picked up the car and it's doing the same thing as when I brought it in.
Has anyone else purchased bad gasoline before? Or had say water in the tank or anything else? (not counting diesel!). I've never had this happen before, but I still think this is the problem.
Engine don't usually knock unless the air to fuel ratio is low (or the timing on on older car is -.+) right? Or same as the octane not being high enough in the fuel. Does water in the tank have same effect on engine, making the piston heads shudder down the cylinder walls and "knock"?
(BTW, I searched through 2 pages on Bing on "why an engine would knock".and NOT ONE highlighted web page described what knocking REALLY is....I guess they think we are all too dumb to understand... eeh?!)
Anyone had this gasoline prob before? I know diesel can go bad fairly quickly...but..?