General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 CTS 3.6L check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Exclamation 2013 CTS 3.6L check engine light on

Hey, Had the check engine light and tones come on 4-5 miles after pumping $35 worth of premium gas from a Chevon station.
I usually put premium in this car esp. when traveling through the Sierras. Have never had a problem before and the engine had just been tuned up 2 tanks of gas previous. (new plugs and coil packs). Car was running great, better gas mileage and snappy from a standstill.
Before the check engine light came on, the engine began to jerk, buck and hesitate when accelerator was applied. I pulled over, opened the gas tank cap for few seconds, replaced it, let the car sit for 15mins and even checked under the hood for ?. Then restarted the car, (fine) and after a few mins of driving hit an incline (or hill). Now the engine really started to buck around, the pistons started knocking and the engine light came on again with all it's bells and whistles. I pulled over, let it sit and turned around for home. It ran okay downhill and as long as I didn't ask it to do much.
Took it to Chevrolet, they told me it was the #1 coil pack that was bad (from a "history code , misfire once under load, possible coil...")
I let them replace the coil pack, paid $342 for the work (!!), picked up the car after hours, drove it for 2mins only to have this same problem all over again...!
Does one cylinder misfire cause an engine check light to come on and why would one misfire cause multiple cylinders (pistons) to knock as though they are staved for octane or fuel mixture?
I still think it's stale or bad gasoline. It even smells weird
Anybody else have this happen with the check engine light ?
Any advise is appreciated,
Thanks,

Old 08-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Default Bad gas

The fact you got a couple of miles or so before problems tells me that your car had enough 'good fuel' in the pump/lines/injectors etc to last that long - then in comes the contaminated fuel. Because you state that the fuel has a strange smell you may have inadvertently got some diesel in there. This would play havoc big time. Being done before that's for sure. Hope you get it sirted.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM

Yes, you are correct and that makes perfect sense. Running through all the original fuel until the bad fuel hits the injectors!
Thank you for reply, I'm still waiting to hear back from Chevrolet again after taking it back two days ago. There're "backed up" with mostly refrigerant probs from other customers they told us.... I hate taking a car into a dealer for anything...it always comes back with a higher dollar sign...ugh.