maybe my engine is dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Default maybe my engine is dying

Hey guys lemme know what u think, sometimes when im driving my car feels likes its miss firing. if im cruising going the same speeed say 45 mph, it will keep on doing it untill i change speed so ill puish the gas pedal harder and the car will kinda jump forward like the transmission is slipping. It does it any day any time it feels like it. An auto mechanic teacher said i might have water in my gas tank, but i put special stuff in it and that was like a year ago. I think it started happening a couple days after i got the transmission fluid changed. I got it changed about a year or a little longer ago. there might be a week or two when it doesent do it but its doin it again. I had a tune done to it all ready. So they "said" they changed the spark plugs, but it seems like you have to pull the engine to get to the back 4 plugs, but maybe im wrong. So what do yall think, my car has 250k miles on orignal tranny and motor so maybe its on its last leg but besides that it drives perfect. Sorry about the long essay but any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Certified Members
Default RE: maybe my engine is dying

Tbi or pfi

Old 10-27-2007, 11:38 AM
Tech Certified Members

Hey there1989: I'd be leaning towards the distributor module or the pickup coil. Had the same problem and this cleaned it right up. Are you running the Olds or the Caddy engine??

Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 PM

its the caddy engine, its a 4.5 so i think thats like a 268cu or something like that. so if its the distributer module does that mean its got something to do with my spark plugs?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Certified Members

Ignition module directly controls spark going to spark plugs. Ask your teacher to help you scope test and power balance engine. It is easy to crack spark plugs during installation or damage plug wires when trying to get spark plug wire boot off old spark plug. Is pfi on front valve cover? Is service engine soon/now light on?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 AM
Tech Certified Members

ORIGINAL: 1989 fleetwood

Hey guys lemme know what u think, sometimes when im driving my car feels likes its miss firing. if im cruising going the same speeed say 45 mph, it will keep on doing it untill i change speed so ill puish the gas pedal harder and the car will kinda jump forward like the transmission is slipping. It does it any day any time it feels like it. An auto mechanic teacher said i might have water in my gas tank, but i put special stuff in it and that was like a year ago. I think it started happening a couple days after i got the transmission fluid changed. I got it changed about a year or a little longer ago. there might be a week or two when it doesent do it but its doin it again. I had a tune done to it all ready. So they "said" they changed the spark plugs, but it seems like you have to pull the engine to get to the back 4 plugs, but maybe im wrong. So what do yall think, my car has 250k miles on orignal tranny and motor so maybe its on its last leg but besides that it drives perfect. Sorry about the long essay but any suggestions would be helpful.
if it is weather realted we need to know .. try and get more details.
see this thread:

https://www.cadillacforum.com/m_9792/tm.htm

Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 PM

oh ok, well there in not a pfi on the valve covers. Its just has V8 on it. The service engine light came on like 20k miles ago but just went off in like 50 miles later. It has 250k now. And it happens in all weather, i think i remeber it started messin up when it was cold last year, ad its about to get cold again. {in Florida}. Thats a good idea to run a scope test, ill ask my teacher when my classes start up in Jan.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 PM

i noticed yesterday that one of my spark plugs seemed to be loose. Im not sure if it can come out eaisly i didnt want to pull it out. but u can wiggle it a lot from side to side. The rest of them arent like that, u think this might be my problem?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Tech Certified Members

Very possible, pull it out make sure it not fouled be for re-installing. As far trans make sure modulator in getting good vacuum.Base of tbi tends to carbon up restricting or blocking vacuum to map sensor or modulator. Modulator controls trans line pressure, if it not working right trans can slip on accell, eventually causing it to fail.